Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
sugarbug
canada
sugarbug is female  sugarbug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 01:26 PM

Re: Are we ever too old to fall in love?

I guess after being married for such a long time
it must be hard to live alone .
Yet it must be just as hard to change your ways, to suit
someone else .
As far as being too old to fall in love , I would say no .
If you feel you are too old to fall in love , then you are too old
to live life . How can you live life without love ?
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 01:29 PM

Well I must be (too old I mean) cos I haven't fallen in love for 20+ years..will just have to be satisfied with My memories.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
My friend who does beautiful flower arrangments, has just done the wedding flowers for a lady of 75 who was getting wed.

I love to see older couples with a genuine fondness for each other.
It perhaps isn't the fiery passion that youth used to bring, but instead a gentle and genuine caring and affection for each other.

Nowt wrong with that to my mind.
I love that Mups, I think it's great that they find love and get married. Some people get married in their 90's and are aware it will be short lived but they do it anyway.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sage ->
My mom was 65 when my dad died. She absolutely did not want anyone else. No one could live up to Dad, she said. She was adamant. That changed 17 years later. She fell in love with a guy she met at church. They were married and obviously in love. They even had a good sex life, she told me with a sly little grin. She loved his family. Two years later he died. She was heartbroken again. My older cousin's husband was widowed. My cousin died of cancer. He and Mom took up together, and were soon married. She'd known him for a long time, so he was not a stranger. Two years later he died. Again she was alone. Within the year she ended up in a nursing facility because of injuries she incurred in a fall at home. Guess what, she fell in love again, while she was in the nursing home. She and Del were so cute together. He was 10 years her junior. The nursing staff loved the relationship the two of them had. He died a couple of years later and she a year and a half after that.

So do I believe one can call in in love in their senior years? Absolutely.
That's how it should be IMO, making the most of the time we have.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

26-09-2018, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
A true story

50 yrs ago J and A fell in love she 21 he 25 . He an officer in the French navy , she worked in Australia . Family deliberately kept them apart by destroying letters as his family wanted him to marry someone else . Each never heard from the other again , she heartbroken but got on with her life .

Now aged 71 , J received a phone call from someone who had read in the local paper that A was searching for her his lost love , he had even made a plea for help on facebook and it had gone viral, he had contacted the local paper requesting anyone who knew J or a family member to get in touch . He had been searching for 2 yrs for her . He had been married and had grown up children but after a cancer scare he needed to see her just once more .

J wrote him a card and said she would love to see him too . YOU HAVE FOUND ME she wrote

10 days later she was at the airport , he walked through the doors , this handsome navel officer now 75 she now 71 , each saw only the young love they once we're . The moment they locked eyes they fell in love .

A still had the wedding ring he had brought J 50 yrs ago , he never got to propose , family made sure of that . He had loved her forever .

Today 4 yrs on they still live together in total harmony , true soul mates .

They won't tell their story to the world as they are private people hence my abbreviation of their names , to be in their company is wonderful , to listen to their story is touching . He could not live without her any longer .
Love it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

26-09-2018, 01:37 PM

For me not to fall in love, I would have to be locked in a cell my entire life, I fall in love far too easily, always have.

Maybe Twink will one day lock me in her cellar but even then I will probably get Stockholme syndrome.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by sugarbug ->

I guess after being married for such a long time
it must be hard to live alone .
Yet it must be just as hard to change your ways, to suit
someone else .
As far as being too old to fall in love , I would say no .
If you feel you are too old to fall in love , then you are too old
to live life .
How can you live life without love ?
Wise words however it's probaby harder to meet someone to fall in love with as you get older.
I love the song
It reminds me of the chicken catcher
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 02:22 PM

Good luck to those that can find love.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 02:23 PM

I wish everyone could find love .
Especially young people how hard to go through life alone .
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 03:40 PM

Hi WB, Hi everyone.

Oh definitely! I have told posters on here a little while ago about the story of my younger brother.
He and my SIL fell in love at school. she aged 13 and he aged 14. They married at ages 16 & 17 with the blessing of both parents because their first child was on the way (naughty things) but had a wonderful marriage with two children. They ran their own successful business together and were inseparable. Sadly, he lost his only love at the age of 63 from Cancer. After his loss, the mere thought of being with someone else was the furthest thing from his mind.even though at 64, he was, and still is a hansome devil who looks 10 years younger, and if I say so myself being biased, a good catch for any woman.

I think he was so lost he tried to occupy his time by buying boys toys such as a new sports car, built himself a new games-room, and generally wasting money trying to keep himself occupied. I really felt for him as he had come from a very large family straight into his own family. And with his two children grown with their own families, this was the first time in his life he was alone. Although he has more than 67 other family members living locally around him, nothing seemed to count once she had gone.
We just prayed that his grief would subside a little as time went on.

My late SIL was a very beautiful woman, both in looks but especially in personality. The sort of woman that always made a man feel a man. He missed her so much. He was inconsolable for the first two years and became very withdrawn. Even more so because he no longer had his business to keep him occupied as they had retired the some years before he lost her So it was a very difficult time for him. Thank goodness he kept himself occupied some of the time walking his two English Mastiffs and taking good care of my late SIL’s three little Shih Tzu’s.

Then, as some of you know, he visited me one day when I was on Skype talking to my Russian pen-pal, If I was to describe her I would say she is a very attractive, articulate widowed mother of two grown children. She is a music teacher and choir leader at one of the conservatories and is well-travelled, attending concerts throughout Europe.

Anyhow, he popped in to see me as we were skyping. He was peering over my shoulder, looking at her as I was trying to say goodbye so I thought it only polite that I introduce them to each other.

That was it! The crafty beggar made sure he was here everytime we skyped, and slowly but surely he took over the conversation, so much so, they even started to skype each other!
Now, almost two years later, they are engaged, she is applying to become a British citizen, they have travelled all over Europe together, off to Bermuda in November and I have never seen him so happy. (even though I’ve lost my pen-pal!)

I have to say of course, when the family first heard of the romance, one can imagine the thoughts going through their minds! Especially his two children. It took quite a while for both he and myself to convince them that she was not what they imagined (after his money) and in no way would I be silly enough to have someone of low repute as my pen-pal!!
I think they were relieved to learn that she is in fact, quite well-off in her own right, was married to a wealthy businessman for 30 years, owns her own apartment in St Petersburg, as well as owning a property business run by her son, but you know what it is like? If she had been British it wouldn’t have mattered so much, but they were highly suspicious at first because she hailed from Russia!!
It took about 3 visits here for his two children to really get to know her, now they think the world of her, they adored their mum but his fiancee has made my brother very happy again and that is enough for them. They are good kids, have their own families and all they ever wanted was to see him happy again. He has also met her children twice,(who were equally just as anxious about their mum and her relationship with him), but now thankfully, both families are content and reassured that their relationship is genuine.

I have to be honest and say that I never thought he would find love again. As far as he was concerned, no-one would ever replace my SIL. So it was definitely a case of “never say never” where love is concerned!

Even stranger, all the other family members cannot get over how similar she is to my late SIL, both in looks, height, slender figure, same shoulder length dark hair, even her quiet demeanor. I laughed when he told me that it has taken several visits by her to convince her that she did not have to be up at 7 am every morning to start cleaning the house, cleaning the outside windows, and washing his clothes!! (that, apparently is the way in Russia, the men do nothing around the house, the women do everything!) He says that she is slowly learning to relax to the British way of life!

Love is definitely in the air!

T

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top