Join for free
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2015, 06:50 PM

At Your Convenience

It is very convenient and cost effective to buy online
Companies like Amazon.UK sell everything imaginable On-Line, as do all the Stores, and now Charity Shops as well.

However, for this convenience, there is a price to pay.
First of all your details is then passed on to other traders so you get innumerable emails saying “You also may like these”displaying more merchandise
i.e. If looking at Lingerie, I do not want to be tempted to buy incontinent Pants that seem to come down to your knees and up to your chin and probably make you walk and waddle like a Duck. I do understand there are now much briefer ones as well

Each order generates about 5 Emails , Thank you, Delivery Date, Delivery on the way,
Delivery Today.
After which you must give Feedback which we all happily do….but now it seems to be compulsory to give a Review as well, or you get Emails daily till you do

How many times must one you be grateful for goods such as Batteries and Envelopes? Still Not used and how eloquently can one described them and their use?

Sometime it means I have 20/30 E mails daily to deal with

In a shop. All is needed is a sincere ‘Thank You’

Of course you can unsubscribe, but this often does not work as other departments from the same Company contact you

If you do not have a App like ‘Mail Washer’ which deletes unwanted mail in a few seconds it takes ages to delete all unsolicited mail

Especially ones from Nubile Russian Girls, who are eager to show you something you will enjoy. At one time I was getting at least 10 per day … …..and me a sensible Grandmother.

Not today Thank you.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2015, 06:59 PM

Re: At Your Convenience

Love on line shopping no need to bring stuff home and drag it all up the stairs, nice man (usually) knocks the door and brings it to us. Even the groceries come to my door. A few emails is nothing compared to that convenience.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2015, 07:22 PM

If I get unwanted emails I just put the sender on my 'blocked' list.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2015, 09:26 PM

I don't buy much from Internet suppliers or Online ( I think most of us on this forum will remember when they were called mail order companies), but it is the only way to obtain some items, tools, or materials for hobbies for example. Plus, of course, the Internet gives you a wide range of choices

I don't mind an order confirmation,, that's fair enough, however I am irritated by the inevitable, subsequent junk emails for surveys, offers, and so on for every supplier I've ever used

Clicking the 'unsubscribe' button is a waste of time; it is either ignored or what should be a simple click leads me into never ending screens & geek speak
I have also heard that you should NOT use the unsubscribe button as that simply confirms to the supplier that there is a someone out there.
It used to be that if you ignored junk email for long enough it would eventually cease, but no longer, it seems. I am still getting emails from suppliers that I know I last contacted 4 years ago

My New Year's Resolution is to send them all a firm request that they desist. If I get bored with Christmas doings I might do it earlier
Fortunately they all seem to have phone numbers, so if that doesn't work I can give them a plain, old fashioned bollocking.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2015, 09:43 PM

Careful ring them and they will have your phone number
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2015, 09:52 PM

Zuludog

I agree with your post
You are so right especially about the 'unsubscibe button.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2015, 09:59 PM

JULIE 1962

They already have it, since I must give it as part of the ordering procedure

This sort of thing is happening in real live bricks & mortar retail shops now.
I bought a couple of tools from my local branch of Screwfix, and they asked for my email & phone number as they completed the receipt. I paid in cash, it should have been simple
Well, they caught me unawares, and I was a bit slow, so I told them. but I am aware of this now, and will refuse to do so for future purchases, in any shop, unless I think it's relevant

And yes, I get junk emails from Screwfix now
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2015, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
If I get unwanted emails I just put the sender on my 'blocked' list.

Same here Alan. I can either block just the sender, or block the whole of his domain so nobody else from his place can try either. I mostly block the whole domain.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2015, 10:19 PM

I don't mind getting this sort of 'junk' mail. Many times I have noticed that they are informing me of stuff I am interesting in.
The real junk mail goes into the junk box. This I also check as at times some regular stuff gets put in there.
No problem as a couple of clicks and it's gone.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top