Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2016, 05:24 PM

Can You Hear me Mother?

Rochdale Market

“Can You Hear Me Mother?”

Rochdale Market was always a very busy place and a regular meeting place for many people on Wednesday’s and Saturday’s, even during ‘The War Years and Blackouts’ it remained the same.

It was open from 8-30am to 6pm.

It was situated in a prestigious position on the High Street between “Woolies” and “The Rochdale Pioneers, now The Co-Op It comprised of ‘The Outdoor Market’ full of Stalls selling a variety of goods and many ‘Fresh Food Stalls’ locally grown, or transported from ‘The Fylde Valley’ Tomatoes Lettuces and other Salads. ‘All chemical free’. Also, the Cafeteria and ‘The Cosy Café’. Booking, essential at lunch times. Bread and Cake Stalls.

The Indoor Market adjoining it, was similar with Haberdashery, Knicker Elastic, Ladies and Gents Underwear. Long John’s Woman’s Fashions, Curtain Material, Pork Butchers, with Home Made Pies, Cheese Stall, Men’s Fashions, Underwear, Long Johns, Shoes, and Toys, practically everything a family could need.

It's the very best place for all the local gossip and rumours and Housewives used to congregate in small groups trying to outdo with each other with the most salacious tit bits they could muster. Many of these rumours were totally unfounded.

“Well, do you know what that hard faced Cow she has done now?
No! .. She bloody has! …. Never! Well, she’s no better than she should be.
You’ve only got to look at her Mother. Anyone’s for a Gin and Tonic”
“I’d want more than a Gin and Tonic”
Oh well.,You would, wouldn’t you”

Stella’s Parents had a few business interests, but still kept on the Market Stall selling No 8 Batteries, and haberdashery which was in short supply and From age 12 she used to mind the Stall on School Holidays and Saturdays when her Mum left the stall for short periods.

She found it a fascinating place with ‘never a dull moment’……The Market Traders was all “Characters”, the majority were Jewish, from Manchester. The Ringleader “Arthur” [British] had a Stall next to me; He was not without nose and his Flat Cap never left his head.
Folk said, “ The constant wearing of Caps, leads to premature baldness in men as air needs to circulate round the head.” As for what’s inside the head. That’s nobody’s business. .
He knew Stella’s family and referred to her as “Princess”. He was known as “Toffee” as he sold ‘Home Made Toffee’ in slabs on tin trays, and he had a pair if Pincers and cut the Toffee into small pieces. He Sold Treacle Toffee, Butter Toffee Cough Toffee Peanut Brittle, Toffee and Mint Toffee. This was weighed out on Brass Scales with 2oz, 4oz, and 8oz brass weights, and put into brown paper bags He had his regular Customers who called every week. To chew just a small piece was very comforting, and he often gave me a small sample on a spoon.
“Get this down your gob love, it’ll grow hairs on your chest!. I ignored that remark, as there was no room for hairs on my chest.

The Market was on the main High Street in the Town Centre and before you got there, you could hear a loud booming voice sans microphone shouting…..”Home Made Toffee, Made with Butter and Sugar, come on you ladies come and try my Treacle Toffee,…you will be surprised!! And: “Have you seen it? It’s alive” And then…even louder:
“Can you hear me Mother? . .And some Traders answered “Aye your Mother can hear you” That was repeated many times during the day.

Once he started, he talked non-stop

Next to him was Isaac a Jewish Gentleman who lived alone and made Jewellery out of wire and beads .He did not do a very good trade and only ever brought a Flask of Tea and some biscuits to last him all day

Stella’s Mother always brought her own lunch and always gave him a sandwich and sometimes brought him Fish and Chips and a Coffee.
Said she, “That poor man is starving, and that Tea looks like Cat pee

[Next instalment to follow as too many words to upload]
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2016, 06:48 PM

Re: Can You Hear me Mother?

great
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2016, 06:54 PM

Love it .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2016, 07:04 PM

Keep it coming, Azure.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2016, 10:01 AM

What A carry on”

The Toffee Stall was a magnet for the ‘Cotton Mill Girls’ who came round. They were the prettiest girls you ever did see, and with such spirit. In their lunch time there was a lot of banter back and forth

Hi’ya Lassies. said ‘Toffee’ as two girls approached, both smoking. One said “Let’s have some of that Cough Toffee; I’ve got a really bad cough! “If you stopped smoking like a chimney pot, that cough would clear up” he commented.
“You shut your bloody mouth and mind your own business” was the curt reply. “Ladies! Please, ” he reprimanded.

“No, listen love, what you need is your chest rubbing with a ‘strange hand’ and Goose Grease”. Offering up his hand “Here’s my hand and I've got the Goose Grease as well. “ Shut up you silly Buger” the girl said “You would not be saying that if our Tom was here” “Your Tom! Ha! He’s worse than me. Salt of the earth he is, when is he coming home” “This year sometime, now the War is nearly over ” she said hopefully. “That Bloody Croat” said Arthur, “He’s worse than ‘Kaiser Bill’, have you seen what he’s done to ‘Ancoats’? Half the street is gone. Folk we knew have been killed. It is unbearable. I could weep”

Then, holding up aloft the pincers he said angrily “If I get my hands on that swine I would cut the other one off” Snip! Snip! Snip! He said waving the pincers in the air. “What”? Said the girls… Leaning over the stall, and cupping his hands over his mouth he whispered something to them. They fell about laughing. “Stop that! You’re making that poor girl embarrassed” said one girl, looking at me. “Nonsense, you haven’t heard what her mother said to the Coal Man” when he was trying to diddle her out of a bag of coal .Her Mother swears like a trouper if you cross her, ..Doesn't she Princess”? He said, turning to Stella, who Inodded. “She’s not a bit like her Mum, are you Princess? I just smiled; I had no intention of copying such behaviour. “Let’s have a sing song”, said he

Oh! Oh! Antonio
He’s gone away,
Left me all alone io
All on my own io
I’d like to see him
With his New Sweet Heart
And, up will go Antonio
And his ‘Ice Cream Cart’.

List to me while I tell you
Of the Spaniard who blighted my life
Etc etc

Lots of people had now joined in and there was much clapping.

“Listen girls I told Tom I would look after you so ..Best Frocks on and we will go out one evening! You have my word that it will be only one Drink “ They looked at each other then said “OK only one drink mind.. OK. Next week then. .Ta Ra” and off they went still laughing.

When his favourite girls called he would sing; “If you were the only Girl in the world” and say “Come round here and give us a kiss” “Don’t be a cheeky monkey” they would say or “Shut up you silly old goat” and turning to me in mock horror he’d say“ Did you hear that! ..Me who’s fit as a fiddle on Fynnon's Salts! You too could have a body like mine or your money back in Seven Days ” “I’d get your money Back” said one “It hasn't worked.

“How does your wife put up with you”? Said another
“My wife is the ‘Salt of the Earth’ and I would not swap her for all the Tea in China. She’s not one of your fancy pieces all tarted up with all that muck on her face, and she has my meal on the table when I get home”. “That’s where you like her slave in the Kitchen all day”
“No, she is a good member of the community and does Charity Work too”.

“Well, I don’t’ know what she sees in you, with a face like that”

“Oh! Its insults now is it, be like that then. I’ll have you know lots of ladies fancy me” My face is very masculine very handsome”
“Give over. Have you looked in the mirror lately” one asked.

“Stop teasing him. She doesn't mean it Toffee” Laughing, She said “Course not, ” Ta Ra, See Ya.

“Now Princess” you go for lunch and tell Sam I’m having double Steak Pudding and Chips. “Would you like a sweet” Stella asked “No, Ta but some bread please”

In the Cozy Café

“Hello Sunshine” said Sam “What would you like today? “ Could I please have Steak Pie and Chips” Stella said. He replied, smiling, “I have saved you your favourite,.. Trifle”
“And, I want another lovely smile for saving it especially for you”. She was most happy to oblige.

Stella was then presented with an enormous plate of food. “I don’t know where she puts it all” said Sam’s assistant “She is not the size of two penny-worth of copper”
Sam said“She’s going to break someone’s heart one of these days! Wish it was mine!..... Don’t tell the wife”.

When Stella returned with Toffee’s Lunch, he was in deep conversation with the Market Superintendent ‘Jim’.
“For God’s sake, ” he was saying “There’s a Bloody War is just over We could all get killed any minute with those Doodle Bugs that Hitler’s sending over”.
“It is coming to something when I can’t sing rousing Army Songs, because Lady Muck has reported me. She’s ‘All fur Coat and no knickers.” said he indignantly!” “ I knew her when she had nought”

Now! Now! Come on ...”Roll Me Over” and “Auntie Mary had a Canary” are a bit much. There are youngsters passing. “Rubbish! Five year olds sing it on the School Bus. I heard them”! Not your version Arthur”

“Now! Please keep it down!” and stop singing. “Are you having it? Are you having it? It’ll do you good! It’ll make you sing”……. “Oh! For crying out loud, what’s wrong with that? Said Arthur... “Mrs. Kershaw thinks its offensive, ” said the Superintendent “But does it make You sing, Jim”? Arthur said, winking at him. “Never you mind” he said laughing.

Having heard the whole conversation stella had to stop herself from laughing. “Right then I’ll be off, ” said Super. Raising his eyes to Heaven saying, “What can you do with him”?
Turning to Stella, Arthur said ““Just you wait till that Silly Cow walks passed here again; I've got a nice song I want to sing to her”

True to his word when she next walked by, with her nose in the air, he loudly sang, “ Mademoiselle From Armentieres parley voo? She hasn't been kissed in forty years ,…………
The look of disgust and hate she gave him!, … we had to contain our laughter ……………

After lunch he seemed to get renewed vigour and we were treated to;
“Whistle While You Work, and Kiss me Good Night Sergeant Major” then
“Hang out the Washing on the Siegfried Line” and something rude about ‘They all fell over a precipice’…… ‘Not quite sure what they were doing on the Precipice?

To Stella it was much more entertaining than the Cinema or Radio, and everyone was very kind to me. The Jewish community was especially kind and if someone had not done any Trade they would all club together and give enough money to get Home and have a Meal.

Stella had always been impressed, with people that make sacrifices for their families, and their beliefs, without a thought of any reward or praise. She knew that they get their own reward, knowing that they have done their best for everyone during their lifetime.

By Philomena
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2016, 10:23 AM

Excellent Azure
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2016, 10:39 AM

This is brilliant material. It’s an authentic piece of social history. Any more to come?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2016, 10:51 AM

Have you thought about publishing, Azure? I'll be your proof reader for a measly little 10%!
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos

15-07-2016, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by myrtle ->
great
Thank you Myrtle
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos

15-07-2016, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Goldielocks ->
Excellent Azure

Thank you Goldilocks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top