Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 01:51 PM

Re: Water Meter...

So it sounds like if you are in a 'water-scarce area' (wherever they might be) you may not choose to go back to rateable value charges!
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
RACHEL, I believe it is a 12 month cooling off period, not 6 months. Have a look at this:

According to the water regulator Ofwat, people switching to a water meter effectively have a 12-month cooling-off period. If you find your bills go up alarmingly you are allowed to go back to paying according to rateable value. However, you are technically responsible for the metered usage up until you notify the water company of this intention. The meter remains on the property, and this option is not open to all – residents in water-scarce areas don't have that right.
Oh well .. too late for me anyway
Lochsong
The Scrubs !!!
Lochsong is female  Lochsong has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 02:21 PM

Wouldn't it just be a treat if someone 'with a little common sense' would decide these meters are no longer obligatory.
The first two years I was in this property, I tried all methods to keep the water bill down - even now, when on my own, I won't always flush the loo, but to be honest, I feel it's unhygienic.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Lochsong ->
Wouldn't it just be a treat if someone 'with a little common sense' would decide these meters are no longer obligatory.
The first two years I was in this property, I tried all methods to keep the water bill down - even now, when on my own, I won't always flush the loo, but to be honest, I feel it's unhygienic.
If it's yellow, let it mellow.
If it's brown, flush it down.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
This is all getting out of hand ... my drains are now blocking up

It happens every 6 months or so *sighs*
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

16-08-2016, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
This is all getting out of hand ... my drains are now blocking up

It happens every 6 months or so *sighs*
I feel your pain. One of our toilets has been plumbed incorrectly (presumably by a cowboy) prior to our purchasing the house. The drain turns through 180 degrees and it is at this point that it blocks up from time to time. My wife assures me that she doesn't flush away anything untoward.

In any event, I'm on top of it. This regular blockage occurs just after a vent pipe which is easily removed, so I can get in there with a plunger. Much cheaper than digging it all up (it's under concrete!), and it only takes a couple of minutes.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 07:50 PM

I feel your pain. One of our toilets has been plumbed incorrectly (presumably by a cowboy) prior to our purchasing the house. The drain turns through 180 degrees and it is at this point that it blocks up from time to time. My wife assures me that she doesn't flush away anything untoward.

In any event, I'm on top of it. This regular blockage occurs just after a vent pipe which is easily removed, so I can get in there with a plunger. Much cheaper than digging it all up (it's under concrete!), and it only takes a couple of minutes.
Think you mean 90 deg and that should not block a drain if you drains get blocked would have nothing on how the toilet was fitted.

Sorry have to say I don't believe your wife...next time open the nearest drain cover and see what is dislodge.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

16-08-2016, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Think you mean 90 deg and that should not block a drain if you drains get blocked would have nothing on how the toilet was fitted.

Sorry have to say I don't believe your wife...next time open the nearest drain cover and see what is dislodge.
No, I meant 180 degrees! Yes, I know it sounds daft, but the pipe leaves the bathroom, goes underground outside and then doubles back on itself to go down to the front of the house and on to the main sewer in the road. Honest! When we first discovered the problem a drain gentleman shoved a camera down and confirmed the above. As I said - cowboys! But it's been like that since we moved in over 10 years ago.

No, I believe my wife: she doesn't need those 'items' any more!
Lochsong
The Scrubs !!!
Lochsong is female  Lochsong has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 10:11 PM

What if you're colour blind JB?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 10:13 PM

Then have a sniff ... to detect a whiff?

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top