Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2017, 12:22 PM

The Marguerite treatment.

3 years on, 2 years after leaving hospital, and 1 year since it was recommended that i needed treatment to aid in my ability to keep mobile, i have at last had my first session of The Marguerite treatment.

So a trip back to where it all started to see Margurite my new Physioterrorist.

Lovely lass, spent quite a while taking the history of my condition before putting me on various gym equipment to observe how i was moving and trying to correct the way my body deals with the problem.

Mainly loss of strength, balance, and mobility in my legs. Exercises were light and, repeated several times, the goal being to increase the sessions during the coming year.

The wound on my foot is at last healing slightly, i had to have n argument with the podiatry clinic to get things moving, and ended up changing GP`s to get some action, so far so good.

Im still waiting for the eye appointment at the clinic as Retinopathy and Macula Edema have been found.

Im hoping by my impending retirement that actual improvements can be seen and felt, i would love to get back into swimming when my foot heals.

If you are Diabetic never take your eye off the ball, as this disease has many ways to strike.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2017, 12:31 PM

Re: The Marguerite treatment.

Glad that is working out for you. I'm hoping to avoid diabetes by never eating anything with added sugar.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2017, 12:43 PM

Very happy you are seeing improvements nom it's been a long time coming though and the NHS hasn't done that well by you IMO
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2017, 01:55 PM

That sounds good Nom if you can get a bit more mobile that should help your circulation and that in turn will help the healing process in your foot.

The key thing in diabetes is diet and prevention and I am sure that it is how my Dad managed to survive type one diabetes for 67 years (taking him to the age of 89) with just the loss of a big toe, the odd leg ulcer and cataracts .

Went I went to visit him in later years I used to rub his legs with an emollient to prevent any dry skin and cracks that could lead to ulcers.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2017, 01:57 PM

Nom I really hope that you get better treatment now you have changed your GP and the podiatry clinic are now aware that you haven't been getting the correct care.
You always think that others must be in greater need than you, but maybe they are not... they just complain more than you do.

Do you have a blood test machine and the test strips on your repeat prescriptions? If you don't, I would ask for them because if you use them daily they will help in you being able to control your blood sugars.

You are right, diabetes is an awful illness but I have found that medics are only useful when you get really ill. I have been checking my blood sugars and adjusting my diet for 30 years and, apart from my feet getting very dry skin, I have had no major problems....... the doctor even prescribes the moisturizer to keep my feet safe.

I really hope that you can now get the care that you should and things start to improve.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2017, 03:29 PM

Thanks yes Twink i self test. Diet isa part of control but also excercise, losing my ability to do so has in my opinion created a lot of the problems im now experiencing.

I had both an active job, and lifestyle so this kept this diabetes from making any progress into my health. I am never going to regain that level of fitness, so ive got to change things around as much as is possible and in ways i cant imagine at the moment.

The nerve damage is probably permanent, only time will tell.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2017, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Thanks yes Twink i self test. Diet isa part of control but also excercise, losing my ability to do so has in my opinion created a lot of the problems im now experiencing.

I had both an active job, and lifestyle so this kept this diabetes from making any progress into my health. I am never going to regain that level of fitness, so ive got to change things around as much as is possible and in ways i cant imagine at the moment.

The nerve damage is probably permanent, only time will tell.
If you need any help you can always PM me.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2017, 07:37 PM

That is indeed encouraging news Nom, and it helps enormously if you get along with the person you are working with on the exercises, so I am really pleased.
And your foot is finally starting to heal, after all this time, that is brilliant news too.

Sounds like you did the right thing changing GP's.

Good luck my friend. This could at last be the turning point for you.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2017, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
3 years on, 2 years after leaving hospital, and 1 year since it was recommended that i needed treatment to aid in my ability to keep mobile, i have at last had my first session of The Marguerite treatment.

So a trip back to where it all started to see Margurite my new Physioterrorist.

Lovely lass, spent quite a while taking the history of my condition before putting me on various gym equipment to observe how i was moving and trying to correct the way my body deals with the problem.

Mainly loss of strength, balance, and mobility in my legs. Exercises were light and, repeated several times, the goal being to increase the sessions during the coming year.

The wound on my foot is at last healing slightly, i had to have n argument with the podiatry clinic to get things moving, and ended up changing GP`s to get some action, so far so good.

Im still waiting for the eye appointment at the clinic as Retinopathy and Macula Edema have been found.

Im hoping by my impending retirement that actual improvements can be seen and felt, i would love to get back into swimming when my foot heals.

If you are Diabetic never take your eye off the ball, as this disease has many ways to strike.
I had to laugh at physioterrorist, as they sure do seem to be that at times.
It's great your foot is finally healing, and I really hope this all works well for you Nom.
Onwards with the Marguerite treatment!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

30-12-2017, 10:36 AM

Thanks folks its been a long journey and at times depressing. The plan is to try and adapt some of my old training regimes for upper body strength as recently in the shower i slipped in the bath and took forever to get out, not good quite scary in fact took some bark off my toes. Then to add insult to injury i was sat at the puter and as it was cold leant over and switched on the small fan heater.

When i decided to go to bed, i stood up to find a massive fluid filled blister on my foot, it must have been caused by being too close to the heater which had burnt my foot. I had not felt a thing, , anyhoo got a good slapping off my diabetic nurse.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top