Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 11:22 AM

Which is Paul McCartney's best solo album?

Have never really listened to him apart from his stuff with Wings. Which solo albums are worth a listen?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 11:44 AM

Re: Which is Paul McCartney's best solo album?

I liked Band On The Run.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 01:13 PM

I don't know most of them, in fact I know very few, and wasn't a huge Wings fan although I had a copy of Band On The Run back in '73 and played it a lot.

For me there is one that stands out and that's his very first. He wasn't really my favourite Beatle but when they split and he released McCartney it was just the right music at the right time. Nice simple homegrown feel ... nice memories.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I don't know most of them, in fact I know very few, and wasn't a huge Wings fan although I had a copy of Band On The Run back in '73 and played it a lot.

For me there is one that stands out and that's his very first. He wasn't really my favourite Beatle but when they split and he released McCartney it was just the right music at the right time. Nice simple homegrown feel ... nice memories.
I missed that one. Will have to look on Youtube for the songs.
I've listened to bits of both albums & they don't do anything for me now, guess I grew out of them.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 01:43 PM

Easy answer from me, it has to be McCartney's 1982 album Tug Of War.
If you ignore the obvious big hit 'Ebony And Ivory', which I have always regarded as a typically Americanised sugary, schmaltzy exercise in burning bridges, the best track for me is the wonderfully-produced second single 'Take It Away', my favourite McCartney single. There are also some lovely album-only songs such as the glorious ballad 'Wanderlust' and the rocking 'Ballroom Dancing' and even Carl Parkins makes a guest appearance on the old-style 'Get It'. The tribute to John Lennon 'Here Today' is extremely moving too. If you do like McCartney's songwriting at it's best, this is the album to check out.

Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 08:19 PM

I'm listening to Flaming Pie from 1997 and really enjoying it. Next up is Chaos And Creation In The Backyard 2005 which is highly lauded by critics.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I missed that one. Will have to look on Youtube for the songs.
I've listened to bits of both albums & they don't do anything for me now, guess I grew out of them.
On Youtube I think the 2011 Stereo Remaster is better than some other offerings.

see what you think of these two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1SpG24rksA&t=53s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAWh4JWGnUM
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 02:46 PM

To get a really good overview of Macca's solo offerings post-Beatles, the compilation "Pure McCartney" is a great CD to get hold of.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 04:06 PM

Im afraid i found McCartneys work post Beatles far too lightweight.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

10-09-2018, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Im afraid i found McCartneys work post Beatles far too lightweight.
The Frog Chorus is an alternative to the Yellow Submarine nursery rhyme I guess.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top