Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 05:02 PM

Crosswords

Does anyone do crossword puzzles. I buy books of them. When I am worried or stressed about something and I can't stop thinking about it, I pick up the book and focus on the puzzle and it helps me.

I notice something funny. If you get stuck on a section, put the book down, the next day, you pick it up, and all the answers come rolling out so easily and it makes you wonder why you couldn't think of that before...ever notice that?.

There are probably not many on this forum who do crosswards, because I notice that the regulars are on here pretty well all the time...(not that there is anything wrong with being on here all the time, there have been lots of times on forums, I would be on from morning til nighttime and even sometimes in the middle of the night if I couldn't sleep.)
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 05:12 PM

Re: Crosswords

I do the Daily Mail crossword about three times a week. I usually complete it during my tea break at work. They are good for keeping the brain active.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I do the Daily Mail crossword about three times a week. I usually complete it during my tea break at work. They are good for keeping the brain active.
I agree Floyd, I think we need the stimulation with "words"
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 05:14 PM

I used to often spend an afternoon with a puzzle book, got out of the habit somehow.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
I agree Floyd, I think we need the stimulation with "words"
We certainly do, WB. I'm hopeless at cryptic crosswords though. My mind doesn't think that logically!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

23-09-2018, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I used to often spend an afternoon with a puzzle book, got out of the habit somehow.
They bore me to tears, Roxy. The sort of thing you do in hospital or at airports.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Me too Floydy.I love doing the Mail crossword at lunchtime whilst I have my cup of tea and a sarnie. I do all the easy ones first, then attempt the more difficult questions, I usually finish the crossword apart from when the question ask anything on Greek Mythology or Authors, both of which flummox me every time. I never cheat and look up the answers online though, I prefer to admit defeat and wait for the answers so I can hopefully remember them next time the question comes up.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

23-09-2018, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Me too Floydy.I love doing the Mail crossword at lunchtime whilst I have my cup of tea and a sarnie. I do all the easy ones first, then attempt the more difficult questions, I usually finish the crossword apart from when the question ask anything on Greek Mythology or Authors, both of which flummox me every time. I never cheat and look up the answers online though, I prefer to admit defeat and wait for the answers so I can hopefully remember them next time the question comes up.
Ooh no, I wouldn't dream of cheating also, Shropshiregirl. What's the point of that, it just shows that we are not clever enough and need to brush up on our knowledge if we need to cheat.

Slightly different, but that's the reason pub quizzes are almost dead now. The internet and the use of mobile phones has killed them off through people cheating.
A friend of mine runs a general knowledge quiz each week (which I can't attend as I'm on nights), and he stipulates that if he sees anyone participating in the quiz using a phone for whatever reason, that team is disqualified.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 05:43 PM

I always do the crossword in our local paper, sometimes I finish and sometimes I can’t.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 05:46 PM

I love Crosswords, especially the Daily Telegraph Crossword. I can do the Quick Crossword easily but the big cryptic one is ok if you can get into the head of the compiler.
I used to do the big cryptic crossword with my ex husband and an ex boyfriend, it is better if you have someone to bounce your thoughts off.

I like the Daily Mail Crossword too but prefer the Pitcherwits in there!

I have Crossword books too.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top