Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2012, 10:26 PM

Re: Euro 2012

They sat back again but useless unless they can defend it.
Good job Walcott was brought on.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2012, 10:59 PM

Phew! What a roller coaster that was! England never make it easy for themselves. Take the lead with a great goal from Carroll first half, then low and behold, let the Swedes back in again as soon as possible second half. Nice cameo from Walcott that saved the day, courtesy of a rather weird goal by Wellbeck.Now for Ukraine, only need a draw, but be sure to keep them tranquilisers handy, by gum you're going to need them!
Bob.b
Nottingham UK
Bob.b is male  Bob.b has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2012, 12:39 PM

Not a game for nervous people that's for sure but when did England ever do it the easy way? I thought that Andy Carroll took his goal superbly but what about that superb cross from Steven Gerrard, pure class.
Yes the second half was very different but surely it shows resolution to battle back and equalise then ultimately go on to win the match so a big well done to Roy and squad, at least you have put all the pessimistic band wagon jumpers on hold but they will be out in full force if you dare to lose
Confidence is bound to increase the more these lads play matches together, still not bad for a bunch of "no hopers". Let's see what they do versus Ukraine who seem to raise their game when playing in their own back yard, will be interesting to say the least.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2012, 08:07 AM

A nice win for England but leaves a lot of questions and I'm not convinced that with Rooney back it will all be sorted. Hopefully we should get an at least a draw with Ukraine and get through to the quarters but England will not win the tournament that much is certain.
Bob.b
Nottingham UK
Bob.b is male  Bob.b has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2012, 12:44 PM

It's a well known fact that one man doesn't make a team so in the case of Rooney's return I think it would only be fair to the players who have battled so honestly to keep England in with a shout that he should start on the bench and be introduced as and when he is needed but I suppose Roy will bow to general pressure and reinstate him, we can only wait and see.
I see that the Germans are showing their pedigree once again and could go far in this tournament but "Come on England", patriotic to the end
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2012, 02:15 PM

Rooney coming back has got to be a bonus. He should certainly be fit and raring to go, if only the silly sod can keep his cool. Incredible that Greece have got through, but that was always a weird group, with the three Eastern Bloc countries put together. Must say I'm really impressed by the pitches in all the stadiums. Need to get the people concerned over to the UK, and have a pop at some of our Premier League mudheaps. On a slightly different theme, regarding the Premier League, that is some chunk of money that they've got from Sky, and surprisingly, BT. Should imagine that some hefty price rises will ensue for both their customers.
Hu99
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hu99 is male  Hu99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2012, 05:09 PM

Just finished watching the Russia v. Greece game and I can't believe Russia couldn't overcome the Greeks but what I really wanted to comment on is Karagounis' disgusting display of acting after being caught diving in the penalty box. This is exactly what is wrong with elite level football.
Shame on you, Giorgos Karagounis.
Bob.b
Nottingham UK

17-06-2012, 07:20 PM

Dead right there John, I am rather surprised that ESPN got their noses pushed out in the bidding war, certainly no sentiments about in the dog eat dog world of the great idol called money, it certainly does talk (wish it would chat to me!)
I entirely agree with your comments Hu99 about the play acting at all levels of football and sport as a whole really but until the powers that be come down really heavily on all offenders then it will only get worse I fear.
Regarding the England team, if Rooney gets a start against the Ukraine then who will be the unfortunate player that be replaces? Fascinting.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire

17-06-2012, 10:10 PM

Just finished watching the Portugal / Netherlands game. Great show from Ronaldo, the Dutch were pretty awful, Van Persie in particular. Needless to say the Germans have topped the group. Fascinating permutations throughout this group, as any one could have qualified. Looking forward to more great games in the future.
Hu99
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hu99 is male  Hu99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2012, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by John ->
Just finished watching the Portugal / Netherlands game. Great show from Ronaldo, the Dutch were pretty awful, Van Persie in particular. Needless to say the Germans have topped the group. Fascinating permutations throughout this group, as any one could have qualified. Looking forward to more great games in the future.
The Dutch have so much talent but not being able to gel into a cohesive team is the fault of the coach/manager. Somewhere around the 70 minute mark, they should have thrown caution to the wind and taken the game by the scruff of the neck and done what Johan Cruyff or Jan Neeskens would have done when the Dutch were truly great. Robben, Sneijde, Van Persie and co. have the talent but lack the spirit of the great Dutch players of yesterday.
I wonder how they would have fared under the stewardship of a manager who knew how to motivate them properly.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top