Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2017, 01:26 AM

Re: Dunkirk - Lest We Forget!

We don't seem to give the skippers of the "Little Ships" the credit they are due....nor the soldiers for that matter.

The schools should be ashamed of themselves as it(WW1 and WW2) seems to be less important these days.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2017, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
We don't seem to give the skippers of the "Little Ships" the credit they are due....nor the soldiers for that matter.

The schools should be ashamed of themselves as it(WW1 and WW2) seems to be less important these days.
They are too busy teaching gender neutral and Islamic studies. I never thought we would forget but eventually we will.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2017, 12:57 PM

It could be argued (certainly was when I attended school) that events of the 1940s are 'too soon' to be taught in history. One must wait a century or two before it appears on the history curriculum.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2017, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe;1194048[B
]It could be argued (certainly was when I attended school) that events of the 1940s are 'too soon' [/B]to be taught in history. One must wait a century or two before it appears on the history curriculum.
You can't teach what hadn't happened

Joke.

It was taught when I was at school (70s)
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2017, 01:07 PM

Joke.

Generational gap!!!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2017, 02:46 PM

Surely you can't leave out the wars and Dunkirk?
Whether it's called history or whatever it explains to kids how the current political set up in Europe came about.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

17-07-2017, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Surely you can't leave out the wars and Dunkirk?
Whether it's called history or whatever it explains to kids how the current political set up in Europe came about.

Not when I was at school. Nothing later than 17th Century!!!
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2017, 04:32 PM

My late Uncle Ron was captured at Dunkirk but did get back home after it was all over. The RAF got some stick for not being around-but they were. So many stukas and dorniers etc might have been around to bomb the beaches had it not been for the unseen battles.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

17-07-2017, 04:41 PM

I used to work with a man, (Paddy Prendergast) who, was in the rear guard at Dunkirk. He was captured and taken to a prison camp in Germany and then, some months later sent to work in coal mines in Silesia. He escaped and instead of trying to get back to the uk through Germany, he turned east and went through the front lines and met up with the Russians. He fought with the Russians and was at the battle of Kursk.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2017, 04:45 PM

Joke.

Me too. we were taught about both World wars, tbh, it was the only part of history I found interesting, I suppose because I could relate to it through my Grandparents.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top