Join for free
Page 5 of 12 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2017, 12:12 AM

Re: Teachers leaving the profession

Originally Posted by gasman ->
If you need to know, then JBR is your man to know the truth .
That's kind of you!

I assure you that there are probably one or two things that I don't know. Possibly three.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2017, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->

They were the same kids, but the teachers by various different means held the classes attention...................or didn't.
I believe that Bruv is touching on a key point here!

All those years ago, I went through school, without much enthusiasm apart from the sport, and left, still un-enthused, with some of those certificates which one gets.

Many years later i was doing some training at a college, sponsored by my Company, and came across a couple of amazing teachers.

Both were very highly enthusiastic about their subject. Both were acting out each lesson with huge knowledge and the ability to get it all across.

Lots of life examples and reasons for existence.

Massive personalities.

One was doing Geography and the other Arc & Ant.

Other students were rushing to the library, to read up, prior to the next lesson.

In short, all the class became hooked!

Now my point!

How do you get more teachers into this skill group?

It's hard to get past the enthusiasm & manners of the students, but surely, a great instructor might well draw them in.

A wooden teacher in front of a wooden class is not the requirement.

I think the right teachers are as important, to our lives, as professions in Medicine, etc., and should be so paid if they have the skills.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2017, 05:18 PM

How about raising status and standards of teaching as a profession ?
Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I believe that Bruv is touching on a key point here!
I think the right teachers are as important, to our lives, as professions in Medicine, etc., and should be so paid if they have the skills.
Thanks that's what I meant.

I can still remember both my English and Maths teachers but for opposite reasons.

English was a very relaxed enjoyable lesson, with an engaging natural teacher.
Maths was very much more regimented, the teacher was a gruff Scot, with no rapport at all.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2017, 06:13 PM

Where does a ball stop bouncing-OK A level philosophy. But I wonder-we all remember some teachers who should never been near children.

Now some children should not be around teachers.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
Where does a ball stop bouncing-OK A level philosophy. But I wonder-we all remember some teachers who should never been near children.

Now some children should not be around teachers.
It appears that more and more primary school children are being kicked out because of conflict with teachers .
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 12:46 PM

I believe that teachers authority was removed when corporal punishment was. It may have worked, if parents had kept their noses out of other punishments, and allowed the teacher to punish kids for doing wrong...... but the school knuckled under to parents complaints in case the school got into trouble.
The only people to blame for the current position are the parents of kids they thought could do no wrong.

I never received corporal punishment, because the fear of humiliation by being smacked by a teacher, was forefront in my mind, before I misbehaved. I only ever did one detention too.... not because I was good as gold, but because I would have been grounded by my parents if they found that I had been punished at school.

Parents and how they bring their children up are responsible for the lack of discipline in schools now!
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I believe that teachers authority was removed when corporal punishment was.
My English teacher..............the very engaging easy going one......never needed the threat of punishment.

There are more ways of punishing than to leave red welts across hands or backsides.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 01:29 PM

My English teacher..............the very engaging easy going one......never needed the threat of punishment.

There are more ways of punishing than to leave red welts across hands or backsides.
If you had bothered to read the whole post you wouldn't have missed my point.

I wasn't suggesting that corporal punishment would make kids better, but with that threat lying in the background, it may have made them realize how far they should go.

Many parents saw it's removal as a way to get their kids off any disciplinary action. It was never used at my school but, the fact that it could be, made sure kids showed a greater respect to teachers authority.
Bruv
Kent UK

21-07-2017, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
If you had bothered to read the whole post you wouldn't have missed my point.
I did read and I did understand.

I received a cane across my palm once too.

That logic is along the lines of Mutual Assured Destruction, the threat being enough to stop the problem.
The same logic that reckons the death penalty does away with murder, chopping off hands does away with robbery.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

21-07-2017, 01:50 PM

I did read and I did understand.

I received a cane across my palm once too.

That logic is along the lines of Mutual Assured Destruction, the threat being enough to stop the problem.
The same logic that reckons the death penalty does away with murder, chopping off hands does away with robbery.
In your opinion maybe, but not in mine!

My school was run on rigid discipline, and it worked because corporal punishment never had to be used.

The only time the school had to take extreme action was when a pupil slapped the headmistress across the face.......she was dispelled from the school!

Page 5 of 12 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top