Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2021, 04:19 PM

Re: Nobblers!

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
''
But he also rounded up the names people offered: “So the end slice of a loaf is (according to you weirdos) — the knobby, knobby end, knob end, nobbly, knobbler, norbert, doormat, topper, nut end, noggie, noggin, ender, crust, butt, outsider, tush, doorstep, bumper, healie, nub, bum, bum end, knocker [all wrong] or heel .''
Well there you go!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2021, 04:21 PM

''
But he also rounded up the names people offered: “So the end slice of a loaf is (according to you weirdos) — the knobby, knobby end, knob end, nobbly, knobbler, norbert, doormat, topper, nut end, noggie, noggin, ender, crust, butt, outsider, tush, doorstep, bumper, healie, nub, bum, bum end, knocker [all wrong] or heel .''
When talking bread, a knob end for me is one of the ends of a baguette or baton.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2021, 04:31 PM

Do you mean the heel of the loaf, LD, if so - I eat them slathered in good Irish butter!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2021, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Do you mean the heel of the loaf, LD, if so - I eat them slathered in good Irish butter!
Apparently 'heel' is most likely the correct term.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2021, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->

Ok, so we are still talking about bread here, aren't we??
I think so....?
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2021, 11:46 PM

In the South west we call Crabs Nobblers, they are boiled in a large saucepan
of fresh water with a little salt for five minutes they are removed and allowed to cool a little before the legs are pulled off, the body has the lungs removed and discarded then all is eaten with fresh bread and butter, food of the gods.

Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2021, 11:47 PM

Haha! There's nothing wrong with a nibble that's for sure and it's funny that you ask because I have always known the ends of sliced bread as 'Nobblers'. but I understand there is some debate on this.
Not sliced bread, but I love the ends of fresh uncut loaves, usually cobs, with lots of butter on them. They are not good for me though & I suffer afterwards, but can't resist eating them.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2021, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
We always call the ends of bread 'Toppers'
Crusts not good enough for you eh?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2021, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Crusts not good enough for you eh?
Nah Judd, Crusts sound cheap!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

18-02-2021, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Not sliced bread, but I love the ends of fresh uncut loaves, usually cobs, with lots of butter on them. They are not good for me though & I suffer afterwards, but can't resist eating them.
That's different.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top