Join for free
Page 8 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9 >
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 12:52 PM

Re: If I Asked You For Quid For A Cup Of Tea? Would You Hand One Over?

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Hey Dex!......Less of the unscrupulous....
Edited out.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 02:43 PM

Depends who's asking me. If it was a scruffy, semi-feral chav who looks like they're drunk or on drugs, not a chance. Under normal circumstances there are too many of these guys in town centres, sitting on a blanket, cardboard placard at the ready with a tatty-looking mongrel beside them to get the sympathy vote. Luckily with the local town centre pretty much closed down they have stayed away, thankfully.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I’d promise to share the lottery winnings with you, or buy the cafe for you!
We could run the café between us Art. Or better still, we could open one especially for all those in need - you know, where they can pay what they can afford, or nothing at all, for a hot drink and a sandwich. I'm sure between us we could raise additional funds to keep it going - if I heard of such a place I would be happy to support it with the odd donation now and again.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 03:50 PM

In America, they have a pay it forward system (not compulsory) whereby they pay for the next persons coffee when they get their own. I think that is quite sweet, and wish they would do it over here.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
In America, they have a pay it forward system (not compulsory) whereby they pay for the next persons coffee when they get their own. I think that is quite sweet, and wish they would do it over here.
Wasn't there a story a few weeks back about some kid in the UK getting it going in a McDonalds?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Wasn't there a story a few weeks back about some kid in the UK getting it going in a McDonalds?
I didn't see that, Dex....good for them! Hope it catches on
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 04:01 PM

Yes, Pixie, we do it at many drive through ordering places. Also, we have begun doing it at local diners in my area. It is anonymous, as you don't know who will leave and pay their bill, but you can leave a few dollars to help. It's a quick, feel good lift to your own day!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 04:12 PM

Some independent coffee shops in the Midlands do this too but I've yet to find one for my free cup

Once, on a business trip in Sith Efrica, I was approached by a local who asked me for some spare change so he could buy some food. Yeah, I thought, smelling the beer on his breath. Anyhow, I had lunch in a sandwich shop soon afterwards and asked the lady to make up a suitable sandwich for this guy. I explained why I was buying it for him and she gave it to me despite me protesting and offering to pay for it. So, there I was, driving around this small town trying to locate this fella and eventually came across him. I stopped the car, got out and gave him the sandwich saying, "Here's the sandwich you wanted my money for." I won't assail your eyes with his response, suffice to say he just threw the sandwich on the ground and staggered off, swearing very loudly.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Just testing your kindness. Or, would you be cruel to be kind and tell me nicely... No way!

I knew someone who was in a cafe and was short of a pound. He cheekily went up to a table of people and asked if they could give him a pound.

Everyone on that table and others in the cafe offered or handed over a pound!

I am not talking about beggars here but someone who genuinely needed a pound.
I would have to ask you how you would differentiate between a genuine down-at-heel beggar and some of those semi smart drug addicts? Half a lifetime ago when I used to walk up to meet my wife outside her chambers in Broadway (London) for lunch, we encountered several such people, but how to tell one from another was almost impossible.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

04-07-2021, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
I would have to ask you how you would differentiate between a genuine down-at-heel beggar and some of those semi smart drug addicts? Half a lifetime ago when I used to walk up to meet my wife outside her chambers in Broadway (London) for lunch, we encountered several such people, but how to tell one from another was almost impossible.
The smart drug addicts would have been wearing black gowns and wigs

Page 8 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top