Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 01:40 PM

Re: Laundry Powder Grr ...!

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Any good ideas on how to store the stuff so it does not go solid? No matter where I put it or how careful I am with it - I still lose about a quarter of each box because it sets like concrete. Have tried decanting it into a large tupperware type box - even put it into a stainless steel drum - both of which claimed to be air tight - still it sets hard!!

Have even resorted to bashing the entrails with a very large hammer - which rids me of my stress - but doesn't really solve the problem!

Any practical suggestions would be welcome.
Yes ! I had the same problem until just recently . Solved it by emptying the box into one of those clear see through plastic containers you can buy almost anywhere to put cereal or pasta or whatever into .
I spotted mine in Sainsburys .The white plastic “lid” of this has a flip opening at one end so only so much comes out at a time when you shake it so you don’t have to take the lid off every time . The one I bought held the entire contents of the box btw.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 02:30 PM

I use those liquid tabs that you put directly into the wash m/c - saves a lot of faffing about, and are economical too.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 02:32 PM

I use Persil tablets ,capsules or laundry liquid.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 02:44 PM

Why on earth use powder in this day and age?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 03:15 PM

I like washing powder. I think clothes wash better with it. The liquid detergents smell more strongly too. One thing that I really loathe is when someone comes into the room and their clothes stink of the washing powder they use. Particularly those fake flower chemically smells. I hate that even more than shake n' Vac or harpic. You can smell them in your house for ages after they leave. I'm not sure which detergent causes this but ugh.

The nice thing about Ecover powder (apart from being more eco friendly) is that it has a delicate smell. As well as this it's really good for sensitive skin. Also it comes in a bio degradable cardboard box.
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 03:34 PM

I've always used soap powder and never have any problems with it, I keep it in a cupboard
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Right Now ->
Tabbs, have you tried using the silica gel packets that comes in shoe boxes, handbags, other packaging? Instead of tossing them, I reuse them. They may absorb the moisture from your container of detergent. Just be careful not to get them in your scoop when using them.
There's no "may absorb" about it Right Now. The whole point about silica gel is to absorb moisture from the atmosphere. If you think your little sachets of silica gel are not working any more, don't throw them away, place them on a roasting tray and put them in the bottom of your oven next time you are using it. When you've finished cooking, take the gel sachets out and place in an old glass or metal container and seal it until you need to use the sachets again. The gel will last a lifetime but I can't say anything about the bag it comes in (if it's anything like a teabag then this will last a lifetime too).
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I like washing powder. I think clothes wash better with it. The liquid detergents smell more strongly too. One thing that I really loathe is when someone comes into the room and their clothes stink of the washing powder they use. Particularly those fake flower chemically smells. I hate that even more than shake n' Vac or harpic. You can smell them in your house for ages after they leave. I'm not sure which detergent causes this but ugh.

The nice thing about Ecover powder (apart from being more eco friendly) is that it has a delicate smell. As well as this it's really good for sensitive skin. Also it comes in a bio degradable cardboard box.
Oh I like powder too and I do so agree with your first paragraph ! I live in a row of 16 flats and we all have washing lines outside . As I walk past some I wrinkle my nose . Ugh ! Don’t know what they use.
I use Fairy for sensitive skin .
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 09:19 PM

Thank you everyone for your comments/advice.

Not keen on the liquids - haven't found a scentless one yet.

Have been to visit that nice Mr Sainsbury - and bought the largest available 'cereal' storage box (thanks for the idea, Zuleika) - having first checked the strength of the air tight seal. Will decant the powder into that and see how it goes.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 10:00 PM

I’m afraid that I don’t have that problem ST. Mine never gets hard.
It could be due to the moisture levels in the air in the UK

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top