Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2013, 09:15 AM

Cost of Postage

I did a lot of catching up on correspondence this week-end, went to post it all this morning and was shocked at the cost.
£2:80 to send a letter to Canada, £2:90 to send one to New Zealand, £3:75, to send one to Peru , to send one to South Africa £2:80p, and £8:10p to send 11 letters in the UK.

I know the Royal mail needed to cover their costs and increase postage but it did shock me as to how much postage has risen.

I used to send the same amount of letters for around a fiver.
I think I will change to emailing.lol
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2013, 09:26 AM

Re: Cost of Postage

And therein lies the rub - we use email so the costs of snail mail rises, with those rising costs, more of us email instead and so on and so on. The saddest part is that emailing costs people their jobs but when people have to choose between that and balance their budget, they will email.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2013, 09:36 AM

The cost of postage certainly makes us think about how we make payments for things now.
We do most of ours online now. Ok it takes a while to set things up but once they are i leave my husband to sort them out once a month when we get paid.
If you take your bills to the post office or the bank there is a service charge, sorry but if it is utility bills i am not paying extra on top of the bills.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2013, 10:04 AM

It is expensive. I had to send a birthday card to the USA and one to France and I bought a book of 6 first class for my home birthday cards. You do cringe when they tell you the price. Mind you I no longer send letters. I either phone people on the weekend when I get free calls, e mail them and now only use a stamp to send a birthday card.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2013, 10:07 AM

We order a lot of things online (we don't get out much )
Our postman and delivery driver say Amazon and the like are increasing their business and workload.
Yes, postage has risen but I can't see it stopping us from sending letters or cards. In fact, we email and post in equal amounts.
The only thing that aggravates us is that there are no early deliveries now. Our first and only post is between noon and 1pm. So is it worth buying first class stamps?
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

22-04-2013, 12:23 PM

Apart from at Christmas I always use 1st class post if I need to post anything. I try to do most of my communications by e-mail or phone. I will not cry any tears if all communications are done this way in the future, including giving and receiving greetings cards.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2013, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
Apart from at Christmas I always use 1st class post if I need to post anything. I try to do most of my communications by e-mail or phone. I will not cry any tears if all communications are done this way in the future, including giving and receiving greetings cards.
So, if it were left to you Willow, all our postmen would end up getting the Sack.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2013, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
So, if it were left to you Willow, all our postmen would end up getting the Sack.
I'm sure the postmen would be able to deliver a few humbugs to one or two addresses ...
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2013, 12:49 PM

cost me a $1 90 to post a letter to the uk
from canada
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2013, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by pixie ->
cost me a $1 90 to post a letter to the uk
from canada
I wonder why it costs more to go the other way Pixie.?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top