Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2017, 07:16 PM

Dunkirk - Lest We Forget!

I’ve just been reading in the papers today, a very moving account of the heroic actions of all those who were involved in Operation Dynamo - the mass evacuation of British troops from Dunkirk after the German tanks punched through the French defences in the Ardennes forests on 10th May 1940.

I am exceptionally pleased to see the film “Dunkirk” has been made and getting rave reviews in London after its premiere this week. It was, even more moving to see that the last man to get out of that hell-hole, George Wagner, was invited to accompany Prince Harry down the red carpet. A truly fitting tribute to the 96-year old hero who was awarded France’s highest military honour, the Medal of Legion D’Honour. He should be a beacon to all youngsters who do not realise just how close we came to becoming a German satellite. Germany was not back then the country it is today. It was ruled by a madman who murdered millions!.

338,226 troops were evacuated, 63,000 perished. Many of these are the pensioners of today, sadly easily reviled by some youngsters. Hopefully, if they see this film, they will not fail to be moved and perhaps have a little more respect for these brave, brave men.

God bless them all I say.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	images.png
Views:	72
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	3377  
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2017, 07:40 PM

Re: Dunkirk - Lest We Forget!

Our lads certainly benefitted from a few miracles no thanks to bad planning/decisions.

There have been a few Dunkirk "Little Ships" for sale recently...hopefully to be restored or kept afloat

.http://www.classicyachtbrokerage.co.....php?page=Anne
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2017, 07:50 PM

I hope those boats are kept as a reminder Tpin.

Talking about Dunkirk, I also read somewhere that the Luftwaffe were strafing our boys unmercifully for days. Things were looking so bad here Winston called for a day of prayers for them. He asked everyone to fill the churches and pray.
The next day, bad weather moved in making it impossible for the Luftwaffe to fly, hence from the jaws of defeat........
we all know the rest!
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2017, 09:56 PM

Sundowner.

http://www.adls.org.uk/t1/node/562
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2017, 10:56 AM

I always find it a bit awkward when films like 'Dunkirk' are released. I saw the trailer on TV and thought 'That looks good, I might go to see that' But then the realisation that it was a real event kicked in so I'm not sure if I'm meant to 'enjoy' the film or not.

I know it will be hard hitting that's for sure. They were very brave and we should never forget the sacrifices they made to ensure our freedom. That goes for all our soldiers in all wars.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2017, 11:07 AM

I wonder if it will be any better than the previous film entitled 'Dunkirk' which was filmed on Camber Sands and starred (amongst others) John Mills.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2017, 02:10 PM

A man wrote to the D Telegraph today to say he had stood on a dockside as a boy watching the torn and bedraggled and filthy troops file off the little ships. Nothing like the sanitised men in the film....
Marion
Norfolk
Marion is female  Marion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2017, 02:32 PM

My father was on the beaches at Dunkirk and was taken on board of one of the little boats. He never really spoke about the war though.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2017, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I always find it a bit awkward when films like 'Dunkirk' are released. I saw the trailer on TV and thought 'That looks good, I might go to see that' But then the realisation that it was a real event kicked in so I'm not sure if I'm meant to 'enjoy' the film or not.

I know it will be hard hitting that's for sure. They were very brave and we should never forget the sacrifices they made to ensure our freedom. That goes for all our soldiers in all wars.
It has Tom Hardy in it so it will be good!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2017, 04:18 PM

Can't read anything like this without the hairs on my arms standing up and going all shivery like someone has walked over my grave.

Can't even begin to imagine how those chaps felt or what it was like on the Dunkirk beaches.
Where would we all be now without them.
Very sobering.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top