Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2020, 05:46 AM

Watch Out!

My dear old watch, which I bought decades ago needs a new battery. I think it cost me about $30 new and I have spend about $100 on batteries (it takes two) since then.

I was musing on buying another watch and came across a similar watch that claims its battery lasts 10 years (CR2025).

If that is true then I will probably never need to buy another watch battery in my life which was enough for me to lash out nearly $70 on a watch that not only tells the time and date but is also a stopwatch, world timekeeper, stores phone numbers, cleans the car, makes breakfast, feeds the dog, vacuums the lounge and many things beside. Mostly features I never use.

New watch on the left, retired watch on the right (see the LEDS are nearly blank - first indication that new batteries are needed)

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020500.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	11519  
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2020, 06:35 AM

Re: Watch Out!

A shame it doesn't make breakfast though....

Oh, never mind, apparently it does.

Just imagine. Your house will be clean, your belly will be full, and - miracle of miracles you'll know the time of day! Excellent purchase.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2020, 10:31 AM

I never use all the functions on anything I buy ...technology is wasted on me. It's great when things you use regularly just go on and on....they become like old pals
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2020, 11:16 AM

I bought a Casio Illuminator about twenty years ago, it said the battery life was ten years Bruce.....It's still going strong..
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2020, 05:32 PM

Better still dispense with batteries entirely! I used to always buy Seiko watches, mostly reliable and without problems. Except that was for the last one, that used batteries rapidly. Initially I bought a new battery and had it fitted. Then one that had only just been fitted seemed to have gone faulty, the watch had stopped. It was reckoned there was a fault with the watch, hence rapid battery usage.

Rather than have it repaired, I had the watch some years, so reckoned I deserved a new one. Checked out what was available and bought a Citizen Eco-drive watch. That works on the battery being recharged by light, sort of solar-powered, so never needs a replacement battery.

That was in 2011 and it's still going well.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2020, 05:55 PM

Omega.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2020, 06:01 PM

my watches are solar powered so don't have to worry about batteries.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2020, 11:43 PM

Now I don't go to work I don't wear a watch.It's very liberating.There's lots of things that give the time these days if I feel I need to know.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2020, 05:02 PM

An old friend of ours had a genuine fake Ralox perpetual. She worked at an old folks home and used to give it to a Parkinson's patient to wind up every day.

I've got a Casio that cost me £14 about 4 years ago. Bought it on-line from a watch shop. Suits me down to the ground.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2020, 09:21 PM

Anyone who carries a mobile phone, which is most people, can see the date and time on that device.

The need for a wrist watch is over. They are now pointless devices unless they have some other specific functionality you need.

I have a nautical watch that contains a barometer and a compass as well as stopwatches and alarms.

I no longer wear it nor need it as the barometer and compass features are really not necessary.

My phone tells me the time, can so stopwatch timing and allows me to set alarms.

Watches are now just a fashion statement for vain individuals.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top