Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Fran
South Yorkshire
Fran is female 

08-09-2014, 09:34 AM

Re: Anyone with car mechanic experience?

Originally Posted by Victors Mate ->
So it wasn't the whatsit on the thingamajig then? That's surprising.

Fran
South Yorkshire
Fran is female 

08-09-2014, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
I f the clutch was completely burned out it must have been slipping for ages, I'm surprised she never noticed it going.

This is what is so strange, there was no warning what so ever and I also drive the car so would have noticed it. This is why I originally posted this thread because when I had a clutch go in my Freelander years ago, I did have warning signs but with my daughter's Mini, there was absolutely no indication it was going to go at all!
Fran
South Yorkshire
Fran is female 

08-09-2014, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Victors Mate ->
If the clutch was completely burned out the MPG must have been drastically reduced, extremely costly and very noticeable.

She's only had the car a couple of months and yes we all rather thought it was thirsty. Will have to see what happens now the clutch has been fixed. Hopefully she will see an improvement in petrol consumption?
Fran
South Yorkshire
Fran is female 

08-09-2014, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
It would indeed have been very noticeable, she would have been revving away like mad, and going nowhere, especially uphill

From the opening post I thought it had gone suddenly, that's why I thought it couldn't have been the clutch.

Quite seriously there were no warning signs, the clutch did indeed just die suddenly. I drive the car regularly and would have noticed even if she hadn't
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2014, 11:58 AM

Sounds to me as if she is driving with one foot on the clutch, this would cause premature wear and failure. Alternatively a cheap brand of clutch replaced before, always get the best with cars after all it is a question of safety and lives.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2014, 03:13 PM

I've had a case where a fairly new clutch failed when the centre sheared out of it. No wear, no resting foot on pedal. Sometimes clutches simply fail.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2014, 03:32 PM

If the centre of the clutch shears out it will be stuck in drive, which is the opposite of Fran's daughters problem.
The clutch plate itself can not wear out without being noticable.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top