Join for free
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2010, 07:01 PM

Another design tweak

Hi Guys,

Just a quick note to say I've updated the design so that the main column on all pages but the forum homepage is now wider (so the side coll is now narrower).

I think it looks better as the side col didn't really need to be as wide on those pages. What do you think?

Also, if you like it better like this, would you prefer the main content in forum homepage to be wider too? (Just bear in mind random pics and latest threads etc then won't show as they won't fit in the narrower column).

Let me know what you think!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2010, 10:41 PM

Re: Another design tweak

I like it on the other pages, but would really really miss the random photos on the Home Page ...I love that feature. And would also miss the latest threads, I check that first when I log on.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2010, 11:24 PM

I like the change to these pages and personally, I would like the Home page to stay as it is.

I always check "Latest posts" in the navigation bar when first I log on..
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2010, 10:20 PM

I agree with Dandysmom and Mags! It looks good, Azz.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2010, 11:21 PM

I always click "latest posts" when I come on too.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2010, 12:32 PM

It looks good to me on a 1920x1080 (22" widescreen) monitor. Always difficult to know if a site's tables should be based on percentages or fixed pixel sizes. I know some forums base the tables on percentages and they can look too wide as a result. This being because the width of the tables automatically adjust to a percentage of the browser window. Since getting this monitor, I don't have the browser full-screen because some forums do look far too stretched out.

Not so with this forum. The tables stay the same width no matter how large or small the Browser window is.

I know that sounds like gobbledygook but if you want to compare between a site that has a fixed width tables and one where tables are based on percentages, try decreasing the size of your browser window. See how the white part of the page cannot be seen if you go too small and a horizontal scrollbar appears? That's because the the table width is a fixed size.

Now go here to my own site and try the same thing. See how the text re-arranges to fit everything in? Only a vertical scrollbar is necessary. That's because the table width always resizes to a percentage of the browser window. If you scrunch it up really small, then some content does get lost. The reason being that images have fixed sizes that can't be altered.

Anyway, sorry about that It's only because I made a site myself and had to decide between fixed pixels and percentages. One isn't really any better than the other but just thought you might find the subject interesting.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2010, 12:47 PM

Because my eyesight is dodgy I have my PC on a screen res of 800 x 600. Which means I can`t see the sides anyway.
Have a look at it on different settings, please, and see what it`s like in the World of the visually challenged.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2010, 01:21 PM

I think it is possible to have a couple of stylesheets so that the best width for your screen can be chosen. I don't know how difficult that might be to arrange though.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top