Join for free
Page 12 of 14 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 08:29 PM

Re: Gina Miller Claims She Will TAKE BACK CONTROL Of Brexit!

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
If the pound plummets because the IMF doesn't have confidence then that's not good for man nor beast. There will be a plethora of red tape for small businesses during the interim - unless the govt gets its finger out and does it properly and without losing their nerve due to stormy politics.
Therein lies our real problem.

If Compo and the Loonies should get into government, we've had it. Of course, I don't hold out much confidence for Theresa the Appeaser either. Unless she bucks her ideas up, she'll make a mess of it too.

I think the best thing would be if we could obtain a strong, pro-Brexit leader and there are some in the Conservative party who could fill that void.

You know what I think about Brexit. I will at this stage be satisfied with a Canada style deal
I hear a lot about a 'Canada-style deal'. Exactly how much control over Canada does the EU have? Does anyone really know?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
We have all had a bumpy ride due to the global recession so a few more years of ups and downs whilst things level off is to be expected.

Rather this than go on as we are being dictated by EU's future plans which again we would have little or no sway if we did not like them.

I am also waiting for a list of good things for staying in the EU
That's a ridiculous thing to think. You're talking about people at the very bottom suffering even more, such as people who are disabled unable to get benefits because of more Tory excuses that now it's because of Brexit that they are means tested.

Of course we would have had a say if most of our leaders had not sat back belly button gazing for decades and then blamed the EU.

I can give you a list but I've said it all before and it's pointless because at this stage there is no point in staying in. I can give you a list to support the reasons to go for a long transition period and an augmented Canada type deal which is what I see as the least worst option :

Business certainty
continuity of supply chains
investor confidence
time to negotiate 63 trade deals (properly)
Stability of our currency
Time to retrain citizens to fill skill gaps (takes years)
Continuity of our security and medicine arrangements
continuity of airspace agreements
Time to do things properly and not sloppily (or not at all!)
no delays at ports
no delays for travellers
no changes to current arrangements until it's all signed and sealed

Honestly I could go on but I don't have the patience to write a thesis on the subject! It just seems obvious to me but clearly not to everyone else that you don't do something like this in a few months.

IMO you cut corners and you end up painting yourself into one. It's funny because so many people on OFF are so careful about everything else in their lives and yet are happy to just walk away into economic nothingness.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Therein lies our real problem.

If Compo and the Loonies should get into government, we've had it. Of course, I don't hold out much confidence for Theresa the Appeaser either. Unless she bucks her ideas up, she'll make a mess of it too.
You should know by now that I think the same way about him as you do. I don't see any other contenders. Lots of back seat drivers but anyone in TM's position would have rotten veg thrown at them because there are so many divided opinions on what's best.

I think the best thing would be if we could obtain a strong, pro-Brexit leader and there are some in the Conservative party who could fill that void.

I hear a lot about a 'Canada-style deal'. Exactly how much control over Canada does the EU have? Does anyone really know?
There are no prospective leaders in the Tory party. TM was the best option out of the leadership race. Can you imagine Gove or the "but I have children" lady doing any better? BJ isn't PM material, don't even go there with JRM. These are all great back seat drivers but when push came to shove BJ bottled out.

Canada seems pretty sensible as a nation. Do you think their trade deal is a bad deal for Canada?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 08:56 PM

Canada seems pretty sensible as a nation. Do you think their trade deal is a bad deal for Canada?
I don't know. I've yet to hear a clear explanation of all the pros and cons.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

17-09-2018, 08:58 PM

I don't know. I'm yet to hear a clear explanation of all the pros and cons.
Have you got six months? We can go through it point by point if you do!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

17-09-2018, 08:59 PM

Have you got six months? We can go through it point by point if you do!
So you're not sure either!
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 09:05 PM

Sorry SG I didn't mean to come across that way but I do think that due to the confusion it's just a case of higher input costs and higher output costs = bad for ordinary people and bad for the economy. These are unavoidable. If the pound plummets because the IMF doesn't have confidence then that's not good for man nor beast. There will be a plethora of red tape for small businesses during the interim - unless the govt gets its finger out and does it properly and without losing their nerve due to stormy politics.

You know what I think about Brexit. I will at this stage be satisfied with a Canada style deal and a long transition to make sure we as ordinary citizens are not disadvantaged or put at risk. I think it's better to do things properly rather than rush something in sloppily and for the wrong reasons.

I am definitely not clinging to any hope that we remain, IMO that's just silly as we are so far down the line. But I do expect a sensible solution that isn't going to cause economic hardship or a disruption to our supply chains.
I really don't understand this economic hardship you're expecting!

For the millions that voted Brexit it already exists. It's their daily reality and is compounded by free movement of cheap labour, globalist economic policy and the hamstringing of national governments' ability to help their own industries.

The truth is many people, institutions and business who have profited and amassed wealth from their EU advantage want to hold on to their ill gotten gains and want to keep their priveliged positions and deny other Britons a fair share in our national wealth.

They only care about themselves.

Benefits of Leaving: Not being a part of the CAP

Not having to suffer Free Movement of Labour.

Not losing even more sovereignity

Deciding who to trade with and how to trade with them

etc
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

17-09-2018, 09:05 PM

So you're not sure either!
Honestly JBR are you like this when you are buying underpants?!

This is a bit more complex but if you want to start a thread on the Canada agreement we can go through it!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

17-09-2018, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
I really don't understand this economic hardship you're expecting!
And I really don't understand why you don't understand that if there are increased input and output costs that will lead to higher living costs for ordinary people. Where do you think the money will come from to make things better?

I can only assume you think there won't be increased input and output costs but maybe you can explain how that won't happen if we have no deal?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

17-09-2018, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
Benefits of Leaving: Not being a part of the CAP

Not having to suffer Free Movement of Labour.

Not losing even more sovereignity

Deciding who to trade with and how to trade with them

etc
I may acknowledge that you have evolved in your debating if/when you list the disadvantages of leaving.

Page 12 of 14 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top