Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 10:13 PM

Re: Racist cops do it again

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
SM, where was your IMO? or even better your IMHO??
You have my humble apologies. That is a fact, not an opinion.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
US Regions do seem to have an awful lot of local control over how the police forces are run. Is there any national standard when individuals states have so much power? That creates room for corruption and power trips.

I'm just thinking back to when we were in the states 20 or so years ago. I think I've mentioned it before on another thread. My childhood friend a US citizen who has lived in the US since the family moved there when we were kids was driving. She and her partner were taking turns in driving us across the US on a road trip. The road was clear, it was night, she wasn't speeding, there were no faults with her vehicle. The policeman flagged her down on a blue light. She slowed down and stopped right away. He put that awful light on and told her to get out of the car with her licence. He then took her into his car and they sat there chatting for about fifteen mins. There was absolutely nobody else around on that highway. The weather wasn't great and it was pitch black. Now when I mentioned this here before I was told that the policeman should not have made her get in his car. It seems that he was lonely or something. She thought it was very strange but went along with it. She's really engaging and friendly so we were then allowed to leave. But wtf was it all about? None of us are black but what if my friend hadn't felt safe getting out of the car? What if she had been alone?

So there is definitely something "funny" about US police in some of the more remote areas. In that it's easier to get on a power trip if that's the culture. A culture of anything goes when it comes to using that power. We used to have a lot of that in the UK but they stamped it out.

I don't see this as a racism issue but a corruption issue and poor training/culture in certain areas.
It was probably what is known as fishing. A common police technique of gathering information that we seldom see in the UK but is quite common in a number of European nations and also South America.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Last year the police killed 1014 people. Many of them unarmed.. just like George Floyd.

Last year 106 police were killed.

It looks to me like it is much more dangerous to be a civilian than it is to be a cop. Cops kill hundreds of completely innocent people every year. Just like that poor little kid who was killed for carrying a bag of sandwiches home to his family. Just like that poor nurse who was killed while sleeping in her own bed by cops who raided her home by mistake.
just like... Just like... Just like... the list is endless.
Of the "civilians" you mention, how many of those were deemed justifiable? More, what percentage of "civilian" deaths were justified compared to the percentage of law enforcement deaths were justified?

You also failed to mention the number of violent crimes that the police prevent each year.

A 2019 study on showed that for every new hire of a police officer, between 1.5 to 4 major violent crimes (aggravated assault, rape, murder) are prevented.

In 2019, there were 697,195 law enforcement officers in the US, up from 686,665 the year before for an increase of 10,530.

On the low end, the estimated number of violent crimes prevented by police 2018 and 2019 was estimated to be between 15,795 and 42,120.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Everyone was wrong here.

The police officer was to blame for unnecessarily escalating the situation. Just like Chauvin, he let his ego (more than racial bias) get the better of him. At some point he let his rationality go and let his primitive need for authority take over. Bad cop.

The driver was also in the wrong. When the police lights went on in the cruiser, the drive felt it better to drive for two minutes to get to a well-lit, busy location where he felt safer. I am not sure why a grown man would feel the need to do this, but I was always taught as a woman to find a similarly busy and public location. What the driver's mistake was that he didn't call 911 to explain what he was doing or signal the police officer in some way to acknowledge him. By all accounts, it looked like resisting arrest. By the time he him over, the officer was royally ticked off - no excuse for a professional to lose his temper, however.

While the driver remained calm, he repeatedly did NOT follow instructions. The officers repeatedly asked him to step out of the car, which he refused to do. Stupid decision. I don't know why this guy is being lauded - he was repeatedly being defiant.

The next mistake was that the officer did not explain in a calm voice why he wanted him out of the car, so they got into a ridiculously circular argument. I have always taught my son to put his hands on ten and two on the steering wheel, keep his hands there, continue to address to the officer as "sir" and to ask permission for every step after that - from removing his seatbelt to opening the glove compartment for registration. Police have every reason to be edgy when approaching vehicles.

The exact wrong time to decide to take on civil rights is when you are being pulled over by law enforcement. Be respectful, follow directions, and save your argument for the courtroom, elected officials, and law enforcement itself.

The protocol for being pulled over for a traffic or other citation really needs to be standardized, and taught and tested in driver education. This video should be used to teach everyone what NOT to do.

BTW, riding the lightning is a reference to being tasered, not the electric chair. Inappropriate because it is vague and obviously unprofessional.

Sorry SurferMom, but you are wrong about the phrase "riding the lightening". It is an expression from the film, The Green Mile. It is used in the film to indicate an up-coming execution. The cops who pulled the army Lt. over have since been fired. Critical in the decision to fire the cops was the use of the phrase "Riding the lightening". The police supervisor strongly felt that the cops should never have threatened to kill the army Lt.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

13-04-2021, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
[/B]

Sorry SurferMom, but you are wrong about the phrase "riding the lightening". It is an expression from the film, The Green Mile. It is used in the film to indicate an up-coming execution. The cops who pulled the army Lt. over have since been fired. Critical in the decision to fire the cops was the use of the phrase "Riding the lightening". The police supervisor strongly felt that the cops should never have threatened to kill the army Lt.
Ok, fair enough. Heaven knows you guys are a lot better at memorizing movie lines! .

As for the context, I completely agree with you that there was a complete breakdown of self control in this incident that warranted the dismissal.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 09:09 AM

We also have some Racist Coppers.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...le-street.html
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by galty ->
We also have some Racist Coppers.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...le-street.html

That's bloody awful, he looks a right horror anyway. The type I'd avoid in the street if I saw him.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I have always taught my son to put his hands on ten and two on the steering wheel, keep his hands there, continue to address to the officer as "sir" and to ask permission for every step after that - from removing his seatbelt to opening the glove compartment for registration. Police have every reason to be edgy when approaching vehicles.
I am so happy that I have never had to teach my kids that.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 10:52 AM

The dirt is now coming out about the "victim" not least that there was a warrant issued for armed robbery. No doubt the police ran a check on the registration details of the car before the stop. Sounds like that error by the police officer was very fortunate indeed.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
The dirt is now coming out about the "victim" not least that there was a warrant issued for armed robbery. No doubt the police ran a check on the registration details of the car before the stop. Sounds like that error by the police officer was very fortunate indeed.
Hi

You are confusing the threads.

This was about a serving US Army Officer, in Uniform, with legitimate plates, being stopped by the Police.

There was no arrest warrant for him.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top