Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2020, 12:04 AM

Re: Codeine & sickness.

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Worrying isn’t it Mups when a member doesn’t answer?
I'm sorry. I've been made up with a cold and not been coming online much.

The tablets I was taking 6 at a time made the pain from my bursitis bearable. Without it I couldn't walk without pain. I was taking this dose 3-4 times a day, 2-3 times a week - just when I was going out somewhere so I could enjoy myself & not be in pain.

It worked well for 2 years - I had no problems except one time in the hot summer I was sick and the doctor put it down to heat exhaustion & codeine.

Then the bursitis got better & I stopped taking them.

Now I have polymyalgia rheumatic and some days when the pain breaks through I need pain killers to function.

The dose I took the other week was no more than I took for two years with bursitis. It's like suddenly I've become allergic to the tablets I took.

Anyway it really frightened me that I had such a violent reaction & I haven't had any since. Luckily my Polymyalgia is under control at the moment & I'm feeling quite well.

I shall not be taking codeine again!!

Thanks everybody who replied.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 12:29 PM

Pleased you came came back Carol ,good that you’re well and I was wondering if the steroids you take for polymyalgia rheumatica interacted with the codeine .
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 05:12 PM

Zuleika - you could have a point there. That seems a likely possibility!!

Since that episode, I've been taking as few painkillers as possible..
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2020, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Thing is what kind of pain justifies that dose?
I wouldn’t dare take them
The painkillers my wife takes on a daily basis would kill me outright. Luckily, I have a very high pain tolerance but a very low tolerance for painkillers.
My wife takes 50mg Oxycodone twice a day, and 6-8 codeine/paracetamol tablets (30/500mg) plus occasional 50mg Tramadol capsules for frequent breakthrough pain. She suffers from severe osteo-arthritis in knees, hips and knuckles, severe neurological pain in her neck and spine due to crumbling vertebrae, and very painful bursitis. That's in addition to her heart problems and eye condition.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2020, 05:21 PM

Oh I say , that is a truly awful amount to be putting into one’s body everyday .Without sounding accusatory or offensive I think she could be classed as addicted ?
So very sorry that your wife cannot manage on less . Can she not be weaned off the one with 30mgms codeine onto a lower mgm ?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top