Join for free
Page 4 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2020, 04:36 PM

Re: Smart motorways

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
So price people out of their cars and introduce other measures such as rationing of fuel and road use taxes based on distance.

OUR environment simply can not afford people to use polution forms of transport. That is the thing that is unaffordable.
I suspect if you had your way, we'd be using horses and carts.

If you really think to discourage people from using their cars, you're barking up the wrong tree...

or perhaps just barking!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2020, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
So is anybody able to answer the question I asked back in post 4, about where are we supposed to pull over if we have a break down now, and are they removing the motorway phones along the hard shoulders?

Who would dare to stop and use one of the phones with traffic thundering by just inches from them?
As others have said, if ever I have to stop on a smart motorway, I'll be straight over the barrier and as far away as I can get.

Don't expect AA or other rescue services to come and help either. The AA have announced that they will not stop on smart motorways.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

27-01-2020, 04:40 PM

I've been using SI units since my undergrad days. It's a thing that "came with the territory" for what I was reading.
The you should move with the times and use mph.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2020, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I suspect if you had your way, we'd be using horses and carts.

If you really think to discourage people from using their cars, you're barking up the wrong tree...

or perhaps just barking!
Horses and carts no, but much more use of rail for people and freight really should be MADE to happen and the best way to do that is by making use of personal care and trucks prohibitively expensive and only viable for very exceptional circumstances where the need justifies the lunatics cost.

Canals really should be brought back into service and expanded and use of coastal shipping to link with onshore distribution be brought back not to mention transport of goods by sea replacing the HORRENDOUS waste resulting from the use of air transport

We are now at the end of the cheap travel age because it is patently obvious that it has not been cheap in environmental cost terms and is big time unaffordable.

Anthropogenic climate change is now an inescapable fact and release of greenhouse gasses resulting from burning fossil fuels must end.

We're at the end of the cheap transport age because it's now clear that it's anything but cheap and starting the responsible transport and movement age.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2020, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
The you should move with the times and use mph.
It's cumbersome and inefficient. SI is so very much better and simpler to use.

It would be like reverting to pounds shillings and pence or pounds and ounces which surely no one would want.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2020, 05:49 PM

A very good start in that direction will be when our national speed limit is reduced to 80 kmh
So why do you drive a Mercedes AMG GLC 43 4MATIC??
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

27-01-2020, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I generally stick to between 50 and 60 on a run, and the reason that I bought it was because it's a superbly built car that I liked.

It's also a whole lot more efficient than my previous thing though I must admit the seats in the Merc are not as comfortable for my fine childbearing hips!

My wife's rust bucket is also a much more economical thing than she previously drove moreover we now use just my car and are seriously considering flogging her thing for a hybrid vehicle.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2020, 06:18 PM

Horses and carts no, but much more use of rail for people and freight really should be MADE to happen and the best way to do that is by making use of personal cars and trucks prohibitively expensive and only viable for very exceptional circumstances where the need justifies the lunatics cost.

We're at the end of the cheap transport age because it's now clear that it's anything but cheap and starting the responsible transport and movement age.
Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Indeed, any car that costs over £20,000 and does less than 25 mpg should be taxed at £5,000 pa.

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2020, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Very wise ST
I am a 'wise' woman!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2020, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
You are being delusional if you think that people will give up their cars to travel on an extremely expensive train. Train fares are exorbitant now, so goodness knows how much HS2 fares will be if the carbuncle ever gets built.
They are indeed we seem to be the only country that pays these outrageous fares .
In Europe and throughout the world train fare is cheap .

Page 4 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top