Join for free
Page 5 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2020, 06:22 PM

Re: Smart motorways

Originally Posted by Mups ->
So is anybody able to answer the question I asked back in post 4, about where are we supposed to pull over if we have a break down now, and are they removing the motorway phones along the hard shoulders?

Who would dare to stop and use one of the phones with traffic thundering by just inches from them?
Mups - have a quick look at the video I put up - it answers your question for you.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2020, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Indeed, any car that costs over £20,000 and does less than 25 mpg should be taxed at £5,000 pa.

Not sure about the price cap, but wouldn't argue about a progressive VED based on fuel consumption.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2020, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by omah ->
indeed, any car that costs over £20,000 and does less than 25 mpg should be taxed at £5,000 pa.

:-d
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2020, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I am a 'wise' woman!
My mother-in-law reckons that she's one of them.

I prefer to refer to her as a witch!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

27-01-2020, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
They are indeed we seem to be the only country that pays these outrageous fares .
In Europe and throughout the world train fare is cheap .
Very true.

When we were in Germany and, more recently, Austria we travelled everywhere by train.

Not only cheaper, but much more reliable. The only time we experienced a cancellation was once in the Black Forest where a local train had to be cancelled due to a fallen tree across the tracks. By the time we were to get the next scheduled train, it had been cleared.

How is it that they can be so efficient and we can not?
Unions?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2020, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Very true.

When we were in Germany and, more recently, Austria we travelled everywhere by train.

Not only cheaper, but much more reliable. The only time we experienced a cancellation was once in the Black Forest where a local train had to be cancelled due to a fallen tree across the tracks. By the time we were to get the next scheduled train, it had been cleared.

How is it that they can be so efficient and we can not?
Unions?
Because the rail network is heavily subsidised by tax payers whereas in the UK taxes are used to fund a ridiculously over generous "benefits" scheme.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

27-01-2020, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Because the rail network is heavily subsidised by tax payers whereas in the UK taxes are used to fund a ridiculously over generous "benefits" scheme.
If you refer to foreign aid, then yes.

Some benefits are over-generous too, and I hear that there are many who manage to claim benefits illegally. That sounds to me more like inept management than the benefits being generous per se.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

27-01-2020, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
If you refer to foreign aid, then yes.

Some benefits are over-generous too, and I hear that there are many who manage to claim benefits illegally. That sounds to me more like inept management than the benefits being generous per se.
No. The extent of "Benefits"being paid to people in the UK is ludicrous. If people don't get paid enough in the jobs they have then they should #1 get a second job and/or #2 reduce their living standard to line up with what they earn or #3 move to somewhere with lower housing cost.

As for overseas aid - that is utterly disgusting. Especially when the UK is having to borrow money by issuing Gilts (taking on debt on our behalf just to give away).

Then the money being paid to people here that includes child care allowance for dependent families overseas. Dependent families? Yer. Right.

As for child allowance, with the population numbers of the UK it should be a child TAX.

And trust me, I'm deadly serious.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2020, 08:13 PM

I generally stick to between 50 and 60 on a run, and the reason that I bought it was because it's a superbly built car that I liked.

It's also a whole lot more efficient than my previous thing though I must admit the seats in the Merc are not as comfortable for my fine childbearing hips!

My wife's rust bucket is also a much more economical thing than she previously drove moreover we now use just my car and are seriously considering flogging her thing for a hybrid vehicle.
I have just given my car to my son-in-law. Exec Honda Accord 2.2 litre. Has all the boys toys. I routinely got up to 70 mpg. Top speed, if you wanted to do that, was about twice the legal limit.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

27-01-2020, 08:22 PM

Then the money being paid to people here that includes child care allowance for dependent families overseas. Dependent families? Yer. Right.

As for child allowance, with the population numbers of the UK it should be a child TAX.
I agree in part.

As I have said elsewhere, child allowance should be reduced, or removed completely, to limit the number of children being born in this country. Numbers are unsustainable.

As for people being forced to take a second job, I think that is nothing to do with our benefits. If you are in work, I believe that you cannot claim any substantial benefits in order simply to increase your income.

Actually, I'm not sure what this has to do with smart motorways.

Page 5 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top