Join for free
Page 4 of 13 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2019, 10:16 PM

Re: Pond Removal

Originally Posted by JBR ->
No need.

No need to remove the walls either. A raised bed has walls!

Of course, it's entirely up to you what you do, but why make work for yourself?
I can't see a raised bed working in the area though JB
There's too many trees and bushes and flowers behind the pond, so I cant imagine having another area in front of it, in place of the pond.

I just keep thinking there'd be room for another washing line
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2019, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
I can't see a raised bed working in the area though JB
There's too many trees and bushes and flowers behind the pond, so I cant imagine having another area in front of it, in place of the pond.

I just keep thinking there'd be room for another washing line

Yes. Leave the liner in place and you can catch the drips!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2019, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by jbr ->

Yes. Leave the liner in place and you can catch the drips!

TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2019, 10:28 PM

If you put a fountain in too, no need for a washing machine!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

08-02-2019, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Don't you bloody start

Washing powder? Surf
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2019, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

12-03-2019, 08:30 PM

Update:

I'm wondering if I've made a mistake. Someone please tell me it's ok (wrings hand nervously).

The guy I had in for a quote to remove the pond called this evening. I booked him - I almost whipped his hand off when he quoted the price! £800 and that's including 8 tons of soil to fill the hole and take all the crap away including the pergola.

I'd had a £2,000 estimate when I was thinking of a path in it's place - so that price was colouring my judgement a bit, hence nearly whipping his hand off.

I decided to have a raised bed, using the wall already there as Primus and JB suggested. Nothing fancy. Everything out including the liner.

This chap and his nephew were recommended to me by the garden centre I use. He's always very busy, which is a good sign. He can't do it until 15 April.
As well as seeing to ponds, he also lops trees, which I'll need later on after the pond is removed. So I won't have to find someone else to do that. I haven't asked for a quote on that yet, but he knows I want them doing. But at least I've had the trees lopped before so have some idea on that cost.

So, what do you reckon on the price of £800 - is it ok or on the expensive side?

PS The resident frogs and newts, and probably frogspawn by then, will be transferred to the stream opposite
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2019, 08:54 PM

Probably not too bad pasta, don’t forget it’s labour intensive, and 8 tons of topsoil as well, if he’s come recommended that is always a bonus..
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

12-03-2019, 09:10 PM

Yes, like you say, it's all labour intensive. I hope I ain't being ripped off again.... my instincts says not, but as I age it's not always correct .... (still wringing hands nervously).
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2019, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Yes, like you say, it's all labour intensive. I hope I ain't being ripped off again.... my instincts says not, but as I age it's not always correct .... (still wringing hands nervously).
Do you know anyone who’s had work done by him, or are there any reviews, it’s always difficult to be sure until you’ve used them,

Page 4 of 13 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top