Join for free
Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 09:20 PM

Re: The cost of new technology in modern cars

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
@Baz46

The Ford Cologne engine is a chain driven cam, no belt.
You still need to watch out for any rattling though - and the tensioners can still wear and fail.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
@Baz46

The Ford Cologne engine is a chain driven cam, no belt.
Whoops! My apologies, thanks for that information. I must have got that confused with another engine. The Ford is 35 years' old and with me twice that age, plus a few years, the memory could just be fading!

I did have a couple of Vauxhalls too, one of those I am sure had a toothed cam belt as I took the head off to try and cure a really bad oil leak, it was poor design of an oil way from the block to the head. Perhaps that is the one I am getting confused with?

Out of curiosity tomorrow I will get the manual out for the Ford plus the car is in the garage so I must lift the bonnet and check it out.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2019, 08:11 AM

Baz, what would nark me the most is, regardless of your "No Claims Protection", you will have to recount this tale on any potential insurance renewals for the next five years, and will always be suspicious if the event has impacted somewhere on the quotation, that is very tedious.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2019, 09:54 AM

My car is much clearer than me .
It knows how to get to my favourite restaurant ( unfortunately I don't have one) it's can download music ( I don't know how ) in fact I still don't know how to find LBC on the radio .
If something goes wrong and it did last year a warning sign something to do with the 'loom 'they said -we were no wiser but it was a massive bill .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2019, 11:22 AM

My previous Honda SatNav was brilliant. Despite the disc being 14 years old, I don't think it ever sent me the wrong way.

My new Nissan SatNav however does not seem as reliable and to make things worse, the voice is a sort of 'morph' of all accents which ends up sounding Indian. Bloody annoying! I find it difficult to listen too without it getting on my nerves. I suppose it was done purposely of course.....
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2019, 11:48 AM

https://youtu.be/728MLtVImvo
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2019, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Baz, what would nark me the most is, regardless of your "No Claims Protection", you will have to recount this tale on any potential insurance renewals for the next five years, and will always be suspicious if the event has impacted somewhere on the quotation, that is very tedious.
Spitfire – yes that is very annoying. I find anything to do with insurance is very tedious, especially as I do my best never to claim by driving safely. Even worse though was that originally I wasn't going to claim unless it was the more expensive replacement of the sensor. Seeing that there is an excess of £150 and a possible increase of £110 on my premium next year plus any aggravation making the claim I just thought I would only save £140 so best to just pay the £400, only claiming if it turned out to be the £1,400 for a new sensor.

How wrong that would have turned out to be. Had I needed then to claim for the larger amount that would not have been possible as I couldn't claim retrospectively. Any incident should be notified to the Insurers as they would have known an incident would have taken place to need replacement of the sensor if I had claimed for that. Notifying them of the incident, even if I hadn't made a claim, meant they would have put the incident on the Insurance Bureau's database and the Insurers therefore could have increased my next year's premium. On being informed of that I decided that even if it was just £140 in my pocket rather than the Insurer's then I would claim irrespective of it being for the lesser amount of £400 or the full cost of £1,400.
Baz46

15-03-2019, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
https://youtu.be/728MLtVImvo
Plenty of choice there, very interesting. However, possibly all with the risk of expensive repairs should new technology prove problematical. I see the VW models came out of it quite well. I had a VW Polo as a courtesy car when my VW Golf was in for servicing, they are very good with all the same 'goodies' as on the VW Golf but they do seem to lack the 'quality' of the VW Golf. With a very much smaller engine they definitely are not quite as 'nippy'.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2019, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Plenty of choice there, very interesting. However, possibly all with the risk of expensive repairs should new technology prove problematical. I see the VW models came out of it quite well. I had a VW Polo as a courtesy car when my VW Golf was in for servicing, they are very good with all the same 'goodies' as on the VW Golf but they do seem to lack the 'quality' of the VW Golf. With a very much smaller engine they definitely are not quite as 'nippy'.
And they tend to 'fudge' the emission results.
Baz46

15-03-2019, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
And they tend to 'fudge' the emission results.
Yes, tell me about it. Fortunately my VW Golf was not one of those affected by 'the emissions scandal', this was ascertained by checking the VIN number on the VW website. However, being the make of car it is I reckon all VW cars were devalued in the eyes of any prospective buyers. Impossible to prove but I am sure that's happened as I get a trade-in valuation every year, just to keep an eye on this. £11,000 depreciation over five years means around £180 a month loss, quite apart from usual running costs. Taking everything into account it's almost cheaper to hire a car instead when required or use taxis. At those losses a chauffeur-driven car might even be possible!

Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top