Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2019, 02:39 AM

Re: WiFi issue

Originally Posted by Omah ->
At the moment, my wifi is "Connected", the others aren't.

PC network troubleshooter discovered nothing amiss.

PC gets rebooted every day.
Everything of mine is working perfectly but internet reception had definitely become laggy.
Attached are "before" and "after" channel change screenshots.

My router is Fritz!

It's the strength of the multiple versions of "SKY900D2" and the multiple versions of "SKY1ED74" that concern me - several weeks ago, the picture was more like the example, also attached, which contained only single versions of routers.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190314-151703.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	9033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190314-162236.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	9034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Example.png
Views:	62
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	9036  
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2019, 09:55 AM

You've caused confusion here Omah by bumping an old thread of Swimfeeders. I was responding to the OP here not realising. I think others did likewise.

With your Wifi sharing issues all you can do is plump for the least busy channel. Most people won't have a clue about that so will be using the default channel their router was supplied with, usually channel 11 I think.

Another option is to switch your router from 2.4GHz to 5GHz if it has that capability and if your computer and other devices also have it. The 5GHz space is usually less busy.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2019, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
You've caused confusion here Omah by bumping an old thread of Swimfeeders. I was responding to the OP here not realising.
Apologies.

I saw this remark:

Originally Posted by Judd ->
My WiFi drops out out regularly, maybe because the default channel 11 is swamped by the masses of WiFi signals surrounding me.
and used it as a platform to mention my similar issue of "swamping".

With your Wifi sharing issues all you can do is plump for the least busy channel. Most people won't have a clue about that so will be using the default channel their router was supplied with, usually channel 11 I think.
As I mentioned, that is what I did.

Another option is to switch your router from 2.4GHz to 5GHz if it has that capability and if your computer and other devices also have it. The 5GHz space is usually less busy.
AFAIK, my router switches frequency automatically but I will certainly follow that up.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

15-03-2019, 11:23 AM

I have established that my Desktop PC is on Network band: 5 GHz Network channel: 52 and that there is only one other user ("SKY900D2") on that band with dozens of channels free.

I will check the Laptop PC later.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

15-03-2019, 01:09 PM

I have established that my Desktop PC is on Network band: 5 GHz Network channel: 52 and that there is only one other user ("SKY900D2") on that band with dozens of channels free.

I will check the Laptop PC later.
My Laptop PC is on Network band: 2.4 GHz Network channel: 6, and that is the band with most users (mostly ancillary devices at a guess).
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2019, 06:58 PM

Question is will your router broadcast the WiFi signal at both 2.4 and 5GHz simultaneously? If not you're going to have to choose which way to go. PC or laptop.

Since you've raised this I think I'll take a fresh look at my own router too. I've had poor performance recently but I suspect it's just crappy broadband rather than a WiFi issue.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

15-03-2019, 07:00 PM

Question is will your router broadcast the WiFi signal at both 2.4 and 5GHz simultaneously? If not you're going to have to choose which way to go. PC or laptop.
My router does indeed broadcast the WiFi signal at both 2.4 and 5GHz simultaneously.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2019, 08:57 PM

You've caused confusion here Omah by bumping an old thread of Swimfeeders. I was responding to the OP here not realising. I think others did likewise.
Not the first time I've been caught by that. I must learn to look at the date of the OP.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

16-03-2019, 01:32 AM

Having recently researched WiFi performance issues, I think this is the best (simple) description of router "band" usage, which, it seems, may affect connectivity as much as any other aspect of networking, especially as the "Internet of Things" is now a reality:

https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Vodaf...less-bands.htm

What’s the difference between 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless bands?

As Wi-Fi relies on radio waves, different bandwidths have different advantages. New routers contain clever technology which automatically switches to the channel with the least interference.

The 2.4GHz bandwidth
  1. Provides coverage over larger distances
  2. Great for larger properties with thick walls where you want to access Wi-Fi throughout your home
  3. Great for emails, surfing the web or chatting online
  4. It’s also liable to congestion with the 13 different channels, so it may be slower than 5GHz, but you can switch channels to improve speed

The 5GHz bandwidth
  • Provides coverage over shorter distances but it’s faster as a result
  • Connection is slower the further away your device is from the router, or if your house has thick walls
  • Great for streaming, gaming or larger file transfers
  • Some older devices may struggle to connect to 5GHz
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

16-03-2019, 01:15 PM

Coincidentally:

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/03...oop_160319_New

Virgin Media launches free ‘Intelligent WiFi’

What does Intelligent WiFi include?

Channel optimisation

Wi-fi operates across multiple channels that are shared by connected devices in the home. If you live in a block of flats, or even in a house, there can be interference as multiple devices compete for bandwidth. Intelligent WiFi’s channel optimisation works silently in the background, over 300,000 times per day, to automatically switch devices to less crowded wi-fi channels. Virgin Media claims its testing revealed 18% of homes should experience less wi-fi interference as a result.

Band steering

Often confused with channel optimisation, band steering essentially decides which devices are on the 2.4GHz or 5GHz frequency. This is important if you have multiple devices as some may be able to support a 5GHz frequency, where others only support 2.4GHz. Without band steering, the 2.4GHz frequency can often get clogged up and your wi-fi may not perform as expected. However, there is a downside to band steering. Often, either the router or the device doesn’t manage to do this very well, and devices that can support 5GHz can end up on the 2.4GHz anyway. Or, if one frequency isn’t working as expected, the router doesn’t automatically know to switch to the alternative band.

Virgin Media claims that the intelligence of its new system’s components work simultaneously to ensure optimum band steering – its testing showed that gadgets connected to the 5GHz frequency increased by 25%, allowing them to operate at faster speeds.

Airtime fairness

Airtime fairness is another smart feature of Intelligent Wifi that essentially helps to share out the wi-fi evenly across connected devices. This will incorporate recognising older devices that can’t keep up with ultrafast broadband speeds, which can interfere with wi-fi performance.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top