Join for free
Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 08:33 PM

Re: The cost of new technology in modern cars

Safety recalls are always free ... that’s the law

So if it’s safety related ( 99% of recalls are ) then it’s free no matter what age the vehicle or how many owners

However any upgrade recalls may well be at your own expense should you wish to have it ( I cannot think of any upgrade a manufacturer has ever made apart from safety ones ) things like your satnav maps ungraded every few years etc
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 08:34 PM

I believe all the latest technology is mainly to impress the youngsters. Years ago when we bought a car we asked how fast it went, manual or automatic and the price. These days, so long as they can connect their smart phone, they are happy.

I also find it strange that despite all the publicity about not using a phone when driving, all the dash features now appear to be touch screen - not a great idea when you are driving.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 08:59 PM

When I had the opportunity of buying a new car 4 yrs ago (it's actually in it's 5th year now), I deliberately chose a 'city car' type with no bells or whistles, no gizmos - so less things to go wrong. No central locking, no computer stuff, no sat nav. Nowt.

Just electric windows. And, no road tax
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
Safety recalls are always free ... that’s the law
Thanks for that, worth knowing and I will check with VW Customer Services about other upgrades.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Thanks for that, worth knowing and I will check with VW Customer Services about other upgrades.

Proof if required

And only just now JLR are recalling cars on safety tonight

Jaguar Land Rover recalls 44,000 cars
https://mol.im/a/6805503

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	288E8AD4-BA8C-4BF7-92A5-EFE0F4C86223.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	9023  
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I believe all the latest technology is mainly to impress the youngsters. Years ago when we bought a car we asked how fast it went, manual or automatic and the price. These days, so long as they can connect their smart phone, they are happy.

I also find it strange that despite all the publicity about not using a phone when driving, all the dash features now appear to be touch screen - not a great idea when you are driving.
Quite agree with what you write about impressing the youngsters.

I had been driving over 52 years when I bought the VW Golf and I have to admit had it not been for 'driving' being almost automatic I would have struggled with all the 'gimmicks', useful as some of them are. The handbook needs a degree to understand and it has around 500 pages. It took me several visits to the main dealers to find out how the Adaptive Cruise Control worked as the handbook did not correspond with the controls on the car, not exactly much of a help when not familiar with these kinds of features.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)

13-03-2019, 09:45 PM

The same was said when they shot the horse and put the engine inside the carriage but I do take your point
Baz46

13-03-2019, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
When I had the opportunity of buying a new car 4 yrs ago (it's actually in it's 5th year now), I deliberately chose a 'city car' type with no bells or whistles, no gizmos - so less things to go wrong. No central locking, no computer stuff, no sat nav. Nowt.

Just electric windows. And, no road tax
Five years' ago when I bought the Golf the 'extras' were sat. nav., fog lamps, and parking assist. Everything else was included. Today's Golf has all that included in the price, that's the way cars are now being sold it seems.

I get the feeling it would be difficult nowadays to buy a car without all the 'gimmicks'. Take the Vauxhall Corsa Griffin, it's advertised as having all the extras.

Something I believe is no longer available nowadays is 'zero' road tax. Like your's mine is free of road tax. I was advised the minimum road tax now is £140 no matter which make or model. Not sure about electric or hybrid cars in this regard though.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Quite agree with what you write about impressing the youngsters.

I had been driving over 52 years when I bought the VW Golf and I have to admit had it not been for 'driving' being almost automatic I would have struggled with all the 'gimmicks', useful as some of them are. The handbook needs a degree to understand and it has around 500 pages. It took me several visits to the main dealers to find out how the Adaptive Cruise Control worked as the handbook did not correspond with the controls on the car, not exactly much of a help when not familiar with these kinds of features.
My handbook is also a tome and \i don't do instructions any more. I'm sure I will never use half the things the Radio/satnav does. I certainly will never connect my phone using bluetooth.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 01:32 PM

One thing I find slightly annoying with our Golf is that I cannot get my phone to interact with the 'Nav' feature (which we paid extra for).

The Nav system works quite well up to a point. The map is large and clear to see and can provide good directions to an entered end location. Unfortunately, I cannot access the traffic-flow facility, although I have correctly connect my phone - with data connection and location turned on - via both USB and Bluetooth.

Consequently, I make use of Google Maps on my phone which can be viewed on the same Nav screen by selecting the 'App' button rather than the 'Nav' button.

It is, at least, quick and simple to switch between the Nav map and the Google map (with traffic flow).

Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top