Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2019, 10:28 AM

Re: Steroids

My late FiL was prescribed large doses of steroids to treat 'Giant Cell Arteritis' (A condition of the Eye that can end up in blindness) He was 91 years young, type 2 diabetic and still walked over a mile most days to collect small items of shopping (his daughter and myself would provide the main items) ....

He was admitted into hospital within days of him taking the steroids where he sadly passed away. I believe that the steroids were the direct cause of his death. I would never touch steroids with a barge pole Carol.....I would follow Realists advice and try to use natural treatments...

Just my opinion Carol.....
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2019, 08:08 AM

Some very interesting & informative posts for which I thank you very much.

Thank you Pyxcell, Realist & Meg for the links. They have helped me a lot in making my decision.

I've no objection to taking a short course of steroids - research tells me there are few side effects from that. It's long term that bothers me.

With that in mind I am now taking a one week course.

The doctor told me if her diagnosis is correct & my problem really is Polymyalgia then the symptoms will quickly disappear. She is going to phone me tomorrow to check how I am.

Well I know how I am - I woke up this morning with hardly any pain. They're working already!

Unfortunately I've decided not to take them long term so the pain will return.

I am going the way of a natural anti inflammatory diet & calcium & vitamin D supplement. One of the links mentions Tumeric - I may add that too.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2019, 02:25 PM

See how it goes then, Carol. Bet that felt good this morning for a change.

Did you get a chance to see the Arthritis research link I sent you on your other thread about the inflammation?
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2019, 05:00 PM

I did Mups & thank you very much.

However it still points to steroids as being the main treatment for this complaint - even when I looked at 'alternative treatment' it just advised another drug to be used along side steroids in order to reduce the steroid dose.

I am not happy with any of this. Steroids have to be taken for a long time. I could end up grossly overweight with a moon face & crumbling bones. I wouldn't be a very happy bunny then - free from pain yes but at what cost?

I have made my mind up to suffer the pain and take painkillers as & when needed.

It was indeed lovely to wake up this morning & not be in pain. I'm going to go back to all my keep fit classes whilst it lasts...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2019, 06:39 PM

I wish you well Carol, and I agree.
Best to see how it goes.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

01-05-2019, 11:03 PM

I must say I am feeling brilliant now.

All the pain has gone. I've been swimming & to keep fit and plan a five mile walk tomorrow. I've got my life back.

I realise this is all due to steroids but it can't last for ever...
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I must say I am feeling brilliant now.

All the pain has gone. I've been swimming & to keep fit and plan a five mile walk tomorrow. I've got my life back.

I realise this is all due to steroids but it can't last for ever...
Good news carol, but stay within the recommended dosage. Hopefully you'll be okay now
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 03:38 AM

Hi

I am puffing up on steroids it annoys me.

It is better than the alternative however.

I am hoping to stop them in a few weeks time and get back to normal.

I do not feel good being overweight.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

02-05-2019, 08:39 AM

What strength are you on Swims & how long have you been taking them?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
What strength are you on Swims & how long have you been taking them?
Hi

Seven months now Carol.

It was only supposed to be a Month but my operation keeps getting cancelled.

I am on a high dose.

A high dose is 20mg a day, I am now going up to 80mg following a review on Tuesday.

My operation has now been put back again from next week until the 24th.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top