Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 10:03 PM

My Dad

Two weeks ago I took my Dad shopping as I always do on Saturdays and he told me he was struggling yet couldn't explain to me what he meant. I took it he was feeling unwell.

That night he phoned me at 8pm (I phone him every night at 9pm) to tell me he was going to bed as he was really tired.
I was concerned because he doesn't normally go to bed until 10pm/10.30pm.

The morning after I couldn't get an answer when I phoned him numerous times so I went up at 11am and he was still in bed. I was petrified thinking he had died in his sleep or something because by this time he had been in bed for 15 hours!

Just as I was opening his door with his keysafe key he came out of the bedroom *phew*

I was so relieved as you can imagine.

We had bloods done and it came back that his potassium level was high so they told him to stop one tablet (he normally takes 1 morning 1 night of this particular med) which he did and they repeated the blood test on Wednesday (yesterday).

Last night he called me at 8pm to tell me the out of hours surgery had rang him to tell him a ambulance was on its way and that it was life threatening!!

I shot up to my dads before ambulance got there and the poor thing was shaking like a leaf, he'd gone into shock.

Anyway it turns out his levels were so high he needed to be hospitalized. They have taken him off another medication and tomorrow morning the blood is to be tested again so I am praying its come down

I can't comtemplate losing my dad and its very scary, I know he is coming to the end of his life (he's 85) but I can't lose him and don't know how I am going to cope when he does pass away and I am petrified.

How do I prepare myself. My mum and sister both died suddenly and it affected me terribly. I have no family left when he passes away.

Thank you for letting me share this, somehow it helps to put it down in writing.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 10:09 PM

Re: My Dad

A big for you LQ.

I sincerely hope your Dad will be alright and the hospital can sort his meds out.

Love and best wishes to you both. x
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 10:17 PM

Aw bless you Queenie. I hope you get to keep your dad for a good while longer yet.

Thinking of you.

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 10:31 PM

Try not to think the worse just yet Queenie, else you'll get yourself so run down that when he comes out of hospital you will be worse than he is.

Try and think positive.
Be thankful the problem was discovered in time for a start.
He will be safer where he is now, than alone at his home.
Try to stay calm, you will be more help to him that way.

Once they know for sure what's going on, they will be able to get him started on the right treatment.

I hope all goes well, and he feels much better very soon.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 10:42 PM

Aaah Queenie, fingers crossed that the bloods will be down tomorrow and all will be well for him. Try to stop thinking what lies ahead petal or you'll make yourself poorly.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 10:46 PM

Hope they soon sort him out. Hugs to you both.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 11:03 PM

Poor you LQ and your poor Dad.
Hope all goes well .
Hugs xx
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Two weeks ago I took my Dad shopping as I always do on Saturdays and he told me he was struggling yet couldn't explain to me what he meant. I took it he was feeling unwell.

That night he phoned me at 8pm (I phone him every night at 9pm) to tell me he was going to bed as he was really tired.
I was concerned because he doesn't normally go to bed until 10pm/10.30pm.

The morning after I couldn't get an answer when I phoned him numerous times so I went up at 11am and he was still in bed. I was petrified thinking he had died in his sleep or something because by this time he had been in bed for 15 hours!

Just as I was opening his door with his keysafe key he came out of the bedroom *phew*

I was so relieved as you can imagine.

We had bloods done and it came back that his potassium level was high so they told him to stop one tablet (he normally takes 1 morning 1 night of this particular med) which he did and they repeated the blood test on Wednesday (yesterday).

Last night he called me at 8pm to tell me the out of hours surgery had rang him to tell him a ambulance was on its way and that it was life threatening!!

I shot up to my dads before ambulance got there and the poor thing was shaking like a leaf, he'd gone into shock.

Anyway it turns out his levels were so high he needed to be hospitalized. They have taken him off another medication and tomorrow morning the blood is to be tested again so I am praying its come down

I can't comtemplate losing my dad and its very scary, I know he is coming to the end of his life (he's 85) but I can't lose him and don't know how I am going to cope when he does pass away and I am petrified.

How do I prepare myself. My mum and sister both died suddenly and it affected me terribly. I have no family left when he passes away.

Thank you for letting me share this, somehow it helps to put it down in writing.
Been there. You have my sympathy.
My mother died suddenly. I was too late.
My dad lingered. Years. That was harder to take.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 11:27 PM

Watch out for signs of pneumonia, the old mans disease that comes to take you away, that and an incompetent GP did for my father.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 12:11 AM

Thank you everyone. Ray, that thought has crossed my mind too, i.ll have him running round that ward tomorrow x

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top