Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 02:26 AM

Re: Noisy cars

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Whatever happened to the rules about noisy vehicles or have they been shelved along with all the other obvious stuff?
Thank gawd NSW has laws specifying motor vehicle noise levels:

Motor cars

For the purposes of section 136 of the Act, the prescribed level for a motor car of a particular type is:

(a) in the case of a motor car of a particular type that is not certified to ADR 83/00, the motor car’s stationary noise level must not exceed:

(i) for a motor car built on or after 1 January 1983—a stationary noise level of 90 dB(A), or

(ii) for a motor car built before 1 January 1983—a stationary noise level of 96 dB(A), or

(b) in the case of a motor car of a particular type that is certified to ADR 83/00:

(i) if the compliance plate date of the vehicle is on or before 1 September 2011—the greater of the following:

(A) 90 dB(A), or

(B) the noise level established by ADR 83/00 for a motor car of that type when stationary plus 5 dB(A), or

(ii) if the compliance plate date of the motor car is after 1 September 2011—the noise level established by ADR 83/00 for a motor car when stationary plus 5 dB(A).
and there are fines associated with them

Selling a vehicle that, for example, has noise control equipment that is inappropriately modified, defective or missing. = $300/$600

Using a vehicle on a road or road-related area that exceeds the prescribed noise limit by:

less than 5 decibels $150/$300
5 to 14 decibels $250/$500
15 decibels or more $600/$1200
And you can report them on line

https://www.epa.nsw.gov.au/reporting...eporting-index

Write to your MP
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I reckon that silencer could be made with twice the diameter and producing far less noise without compromising efficiency!

It might not look so 'cool', but...

oh, but it has to look cool, doesn't it, and make a really big roar!
This one is not too bad tbh.
Just gives it a deeper note and sounds better on the overrun.
It's reasonably sedate compared to many others....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 10:22 AM

Apologies if this has already been mentioned - I scanned the thread first and didn't find a mention:

'Acoustic cameras' tested in bid to cut noisy vehicles

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48564995

The Department for Transport will test noise-detecting cameras in various locations over the next seven months.

The move comes after pressure from campaigners in rural communities who say some motorists illegally modify vehicles to amplify the sound.

Much like the way a speed camera works, if a microphone in an acoustic camera detects a vehicle breaching legal noise limits, it triggers a camera to take pictures of the vehicle registration number and any other relevant images to allow a fine to be sent out to the vehicle owner, the government said.

The noise level deemed to be inappropriate is yet to be decided.
Obviously, like the use of speed cameras, this will be unpopular in many quarters but will it combat vehicle noise levels .....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by fender ->
This one is not too bad tbh.
Just gives it a deeper note and sounds better on the overrun.
Perhaps you could get an attachment to enable it to play a tune as you ride along!
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Perhaps you could get an attachment to enable it to play a tune as you ride along!
I'll have a look on Amazon......
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Apologies if this has already been mentioned - I scanned the thread first and didn't find a mention:

They have had them working here for years there is one on Mount Ousley on the way into Wollongong BUT like average speed cameras they only apply to trucks.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Just for Longdogs - me new exhaust fitted today......
A lovely exhaust and a lovely bike Fender.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->

Obviously, like the use of speed cameras, this will be unpopular in many quarters but will it combat vehicle noise levels .....
Originally Posted by Bruce ->
They have had them working here for years there is one on Mount Ousley on the way into Wollongong BUT like average speed cameras they only apply to trucks.
I heard about these cameras on TV this morning. the trouble is, I suppose they will all be sited in the cities where they will bring in most revenue, not out in the sticks where the yobs are running riot.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Thank gawd NSW has laws specifying motor vehicle noise levels:

and there are fines associated with them

And you can report them on line

https://www.epa.nsw.gov.au/reporting...eporting-index

Write to your MP
90dBa is bloody noisy for a stationary vehicle.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I heard about these cameras on TV this morning. the trouble is, I suppose they will all be sited in the cities where they will bring in most revenue, not out in the sticks where the yobs are running riot.
I should imagine that Khan would be first in the queue to buy a load of them for Londonistan.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top