Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 02:31 PM

Skin and bones

I bought a small can of pink salmon a while ago. I'd thought of it as one those handy things to have in the cupboard along with the tuna.. the chopped tomatoes.. the beans.. etc

Anyway, today it was opened. I haven't had a salmon sandwich for years. It was lovely mashed up on a wholemeal bap with cucumber and a dash of balsamic vinegar

The thing is this..
I'm sure the last time I had one I just mashed all that soft skin and bone in together with the flesh.
Today I had to take away all of the skin and pick out the bones before I mashed it. I just couldn't stomach it!

What do you do? And am I missing out on nutrients by not eating those extra "bits"?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 02:51 PM

Re: Skin and bones

We get fussier as we get older Rhian! As a youngster the only bone I took out of tinned salmon was the big round one in the centre..... but now I remove all the skin and bones.

To me, there is no difference in taste, but it just looks better..... and don't forget the oil in the fish is the best bit for your health!
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 02:52 PM

Hi Rhian. I used to scoff the lot..tin et al. Unless things have changed since I had a tin of pink salmon..24 years ago..I would still do the same.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 02:55 PM

I'm not sure how healthy steel is to consume EZ!
Besides doesn't it stick in your teeth?!!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
I'm not sure how healthy steel is to consume EZ!
Besides doesn't it stick in your teeth?!!
Shsssh Rhian.... we don't know if he still has his teeth!
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

26-05-2019, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by twink55 ->
shsssh rhian.... We don't know if he still has his teeth!
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

I don't know how chewy the salmon bones are, but it is advised to eat the bones in tinned sardines, sild, etc., for the calcium.

When I ate fish, I wouldn't eat salmon skin as it feels too slimy.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

I used to do the same with sardines Rhian, but these days I have to split them and take the bones and the spine out. Perhaps we become more squeamish as we get older. The bones probably have a bit of calcium.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 03:00 PM

I too eat red salmon, and like you Rhian darlin, mash it up in a bowl, but I do drain the oil off first and use malt vinegar to moisten it in order to be able to mash it. Apart from the spinal column bones which appear as small discs which I remove, the remains of it, skin and all gets mashed into a pulp capable of being spread on sandwiches.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

26-05-2019, 03:06 PM

Yes of course there's calcium!
But I do eat plenty of eggs, yogurt, cheese and leafy green veg so I think I'm ok not crunching salmon bones

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top