Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2019, 06:47 PM

Do You Still Do Ironing?

My goodness, I well remember when younger, I would have 3 whole baskets of ironing each week, You can imagine with 7 males in the family. First, it was HWMO's work and leisure clothes, then it was 3 lots of school shirts each, (18) PE kits (6), football kits (4) and school trousers (6), then it seemed a million pair of socks (yes, I even ironed socks before laying them out into pairs in their respective places. As I worked full time, this chore was always done every weekend.
After all that, then there was the bedding, where the pillowcases had to have pinpoint neat crosses when the bed changed each week. sheets that had to be ironed until neatly folded.The same with their underwear. all ironed to death.

Fast forward to today - I have to blow the dust off the iron if I ever use it - which is Never! I either put garments straight from the washing machine onto hangers to pin on the rotary drier in the garden, followed by hanging them back in the respective wardrobes. If raining, they go on hangers in the spare bedroom where the Airing cupboard is, to dry. The only things that go in the tumble are towels, duvet covers and the dog's baskets to dry.

I am so thankful for crease resistant materials nowadays. I couldn't care less whether the pillowcases have a neat cross anymore, as long as they are clean and smell fresh, same with the sheets and duvet cover, that does me.

Do you still do ironing? or are you like me and think that life is too short to do that one chore I never ever liked but had to do out of necessity?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2019, 06:51 PM

Re: Do You Still Do Ironing?

It was being discussed on the radio today and I was amazed how many people don't iron .

I don't like man-made fabric, my bedding is all 100% cotton as are many of my clothes and they have to be ironed or they would look dreadful .

I don't mind ironing and listen to the radio while doing it. I don't have a tumble drier I like things to dry in the fresh air
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2019, 06:52 PM

I love ironing when in the mood love the smell and the starch. But have to be in the mood.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2019, 06:56 PM

I can't say that I love ironing but if I'm in the right mood I find it very satisfying. I am selective about what I iron these days though, unlike years ago when I ironed everything including towels!!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2019, 06:57 PM

Good for you Meg. I personally used to listen to records while ironing, but I was usually like a robot! The sense of achievement when the last sock at the bottom of a basket came out! and the kettle always went on with the very last basket three-quarters of the way through.

It was strange when each gorilla flew the nest and my ironing got less and less. Now, as I say, if I can avoid ironing I do.(confess to reverting to the creased cross on pillowcases if visitors come to stay though) otherwise, that ruddy iron stays on the shelf.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2019, 06:59 PM

I can't remember the last time I ironed anything.

Clothes get hung up to dry, as was said before.

If bedding is creased, it stays creased.

I loathe ironing, and I simply will not do it! (Stamps foot emoticon)
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2019, 07:00 PM

Only when I absolutely HAVE to which works out to about once every 5 years or so.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2019, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
It was being discussed on the radio today and I was amazed how many people don't iron .

I don't like man-made fabric, my bedding is all 100% cotton as are many of my clothes and they have to be ironed or they would look dreadful .

I don't mind ironing and listen to the radio while doing it. I don't have a tumble drier I like things to dry in the fresh air
My bedding is all cotton too Meg

I hang it out to dry I only iron the pillow cases .

The duvet goes on as it is it soon smooths out .

The rest I iron if it's really awful .

Having said that there is a horrible mountain of clean clothles waiting for my attention growing behind me .

It's in the front room so I will have to get on with it .

(I don't )
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

13-06-2019, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
I can't say that I love ironing but if I'm in the right mood I find it very satisfying. I am selective about what I iron these days though, unlike years ago when I ironed everything including towels!!
Reminds me of when I used to be ordered "make sure you wash my jeans Mum" but I was under strict instructions to wash them carefully, only to iron the seams and the hem on the inside at the leg bottoms, iron them from the inside only and definitely NO CREASE to be put in their Levi's.
Honestly, the inspections that took place before they would put them on, to ensure they had been ironed properly, was comical.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2019, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
unlike years ago when I ironed everything including towels!!
Are you talking about tea towels ?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top