Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2013, 08:59 AM

Are You Tidy or Messy?

It could mean the difference between you being a traditionalist or being creative according to a study at Minnesota University (although I'm surprised that it would appear that the two are mutually exclusive!).

Two groups were tested and placed in front of pristine desks or messy desks - both groups were then asked to do some tasks and afterwards given the choice between a chocolate bar and an apple.

Later the groups were asked to come up with new uses for a ping pong ball, were given the chance to donate anonymously to charity and were also asked to choose if they wanted a vitamin boost added to their smoothie, and whether this boost should be the 'classic' type or a new option.

Those participants sitting in a cluttered room were found to make more conventional choices. They were more likely to pick the apple, to go for the classic vitamin boost option and to donate to charity. But those sat in the chaotic room were more creative when it came to imagining 10 new uses for a ping pong ball

The experiment concluded that organised people made healthier choices, were more traditional and more generous. Messy people, however, are more creative, perhaps because they're more likely to have to problem solve their way through life thanks to their disorganisation and chaotic working style.

So if you're the type to start each Monday morning with a solemn pledge to be more organised, tidy, focused and productive, give yourself a break, you're more creative this way. And just look at how messy Einstein's desk was. He did OK.

So, which side of the fence do you feel you are: messy or tidy and are you happy with the way you are? Do others complain about your tidiness/messiness?
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2013, 09:42 AM

Re: Are You Tidy or Messy?

I hate going into someones house which is pristeen and tidy. I find it is somewhere I want to get out of quickly. I love my untidy house and clutter. I don't care if someone comes in my house and doesn't like that.
I have had quite a lot of people visit my house who have said they could
go to sleep on my settee as it was very peaceful and full of good karma.
So you take your pick don't you
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2013, 09:58 AM

Try to be reasonably tidy but I am naturally messy so it's an uphill battle all the time. Just scares me I could turn out to be a hoarder like my Mum and sister !
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2013, 10:31 AM

I cannot work whilst sitting at an 'untidy' desk - I must have a place for everything and everything in its place, so that I can put my hand on it whenever I need to.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2013, 10:32 AM

I am tidy to the point of being obsessive , even the towels in the airing cupboard have to be lined up in the correct way

Like UJ I have a place for everything..
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2013, 11:28 AM

I am quite tidy but Mr Clumsy is the most untidy and messy person on the planet. I once asked his mother if she ever told him what a coat hanger was for, her reply to me was 'surely that's what mothers are for!'. Years later I'm still trying to show him how to use a coat hanger.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2013, 11:29 AM

I'm both tidy and messy ! I think I'm tidy but Sheila thinks I'm messy !
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2013, 11:53 AM

"If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then , is an empty desk a sign?" Albert Einstein
I am always surrounded by craft, art, knitting stuff!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2013, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
I am quite tidy but Mr Clumsy is the most untidy and messy person on the planet. I once asked his mother if she ever told him what a coat hanger was for, her reply to me was 'surely that's what mothers are for!'. Years later I'm still trying to show him how to use a coat hanger.

Loretta darlin' - leave coat hanger in and let him put coat on, then hang coat (with him in it) in wardrobe!!!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2013, 12:41 PM

I used to be so organised and I miss that, memory was good - never had to write anything down ....
The flat is tidy - no obsession with it tho' .....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top