Join for free
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2013, 10:06 PM

Get involved

I was told once to get more involved in the workplace, was that good advice, and is involvement more important now given the birth of the intanet.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2013, 11:26 PM

Re: Get involved

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I was told once to get more involved in the workplace, was that good advice, and is involvement more important now given the birth of the intanet.
Paul if a person is retired and many here are they can't really get more involved in the workplace can they

Not quite sure where involvement in the workplace fits in with the internet unless you mean emailing colleagues. I don't think that is helpful in some instances, a face to face conversation may be preferable.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2013, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
In what capacity were they talking about SF?
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 12:11 AM

If you're working, you can't help but be involved in it..
If you're retired its irrelevant.

My only involvement is now in the realm of dreams, mostly nightmares.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
In what capacity were they talking about SF?
I intentionally displayed a disposition for aloofness.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 08:05 AM

When I did work, I was deeply involved with community matters, was an active Trade Unionist, Shop steward and Branch Secretary, Delegate to various other Committees, f'r instance, the Union's Regional Executive Committee, the local Trades Council. Was an active member of the local Community Association and a founder member of a neighbourhood Advice and Legal Centre. I don't think it was possible to get more involved than that.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 08:11 AM

I've been involved and lived to regret it. Now I am limited friendly, approachable but I don't involve myself in anything but my work.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 08:17 AM

That's a commendable list UJ.

I was involved in my local community in my younger days
viz PTA, PCC, Scouts, Residents Association, Neighbourhood watch .I am a lifetime member of 2 other local bodies.

I also frequent the local parish hall for whist, bingo, luncheon club and art group. I am involved with the Parkinsons Disease local support group, Diabetes group & Creative Writing group.
Several historical & genealogical groups

I am never bored.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 10:06 AM

Depends on what you mean by getting involved, you could get involved in the trade union movement if the workplace was big enough and you thought you and your fellow workers were being unfairly treated. On the other hand if it was a small place you would have to be involved one way or another, who want's an uninvolved worker?.
Had I not been involved in the workplace I would have missed a great part of my life, the highs and lows, the firm is doing well, the firm is on it's last legs, the laughs, the companionship, etc., and lets not forget the pathetic lick arses, every workplace has at least one of them, they spy on their mates and report to the boss in the hope of getting promoted, they are despised by their fellow workers.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top