Mondeey is male 

10-12-2020, 10:19 PM

Brexit

Think we in the UK
Should seriously think about pulling out of NATO
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2020, 11:00 PM

Re: Brexit

Why? And what's it got to do with Brexit?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2020, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Why? And what's it got to do with Brexit?
I'd ask the same question.

I presume that the problem might lie in the fact that if any member of NATO should be attacked, it would be seen as an attack on all NATO members.

After Brexit, both we and the EU will remain members (unless one of us decides otherwise).

What would happen then if one NATO member (say the EU) attacked another (say the UK).

For example, let's say a French fishing boat was caught in our waters and was confronted by a small RN or Border Force launch. Let's say that the Frogs launched rocks and flares at the British launch (which they have done to our own fishing boats recently).
Wouldn't that be an attack by the Frogs on the British?

So, under the rules, who would take whose side?

The Americans, under Bidet, presumably would support the EU.

An interesting situation.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2020, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I'd ask the same question.

I presume that the problem might lie in the fact that if any member of NATO should be attacked, it would be seen as an attack on all NATO members.

After Brexit, both we and the EU will remain members (unless one of us decides otherwise).

What would happen then if one NATO member (say the EU) attacked another (say the UK).

For example, let's say a French fishing boat was caught in our waters and was confronted by a small RN or Border Force launch. Let's say that the Frogs launched rocks and flares at the British launch (which they have done to our own fishing boats recently).
Wouldn't that be an attack by the Frogs on the British?

So, under the rules, who would take whose side?

The Americans, under Bidet, presumably would support the EU.

An interesting situation.
Was that on purpose?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2020, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Was that on purpose?
Yes. (I had to add these words because four letters isn't enough to post!)
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2020, 05:52 AM

Hi

A criminal attack by French citizens is not a NATO matter.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2020, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mondeey ->
Think we in the UK
Good question - and if you look at the member states involvement in defending NATO members and committing to their NATO funding there is a serious question mark over them.

If you look at 4 examples, the Falklands (although this is an exception), Bosnia, Kuwait (which has a NATO agreement) and 9/11 you can see the poor performance of EU member states in defending other NATO members when under attack.

In the case of Bosnia, this was a European country on the doorstep of the EU and where were the EU NATO members, rushing to defend it ? Nowhere.... sitting on their hands and not getting involved.

The Falklands was defended by the UK only because the UK has such military force we did it on our own and did not invoke Article 5 (or article 6 ?) which would have called upon other member states to assist.

Kuwait, which has a NATO agreement was left by the EU member states (except I think France) and the conflict resolved by the UK and the USA.

9/11 Where was the EU in Afghanistan and Iraq when the USA invoked Article 5 (or is it article 6) to call for a collective defence ? Where was Germany, for example ?

As you can see, the EU member states are pretty useless when it comes to NATO and don't keep their funding commitments.

So, I think we should leave NATO and set up a separate defence mechanism with Canada, New Zealand, USA, Australia, Saudi, Israel and Japan etc and leave the EU to themselves.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-12-2020, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
A criminal attack by French citizens is not a NATO matter.
It is if it escalates.

Frog fishers attack RN boat.

RN boat retaliates.

Frog Navy returns fire.

= war!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-12-2020, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Good question - and if you look at the member states involvement in defending NATO members and committing to their NATO funding there is a serious question mark over them.

If you look at 4 examples, the Falklands (although this is an exception), Bosnia, Kuwait (which has a NATO agreement) and 9/11 you can see the poor performance of EU member states in defending other NATO members when under attack.

In the case of Bosnia, this was a European country on the doorstep of the EU and where were the EU NATO members, rushing to defend it ? Nowhere.... sitting on their hands and not getting involved.

The Falklands was defended by the UK only because the UK has such military force we did it on our own and did not invoke Article 5 (or article 6 ?) which would have called upon other member states to assist.

Kuwait, which has a NATO agreement was left by the EU member states (except I think France) and the conflict resolved by the UK and the USA.

9/11 Where was the EU in Afghanistan and Iraq when the USA invoked Article 5 (or is it article 6) to call for a collective defence ? Where was Germany, for example ?

As you can see, the EU member states are pretty useless when it comes to NATO and don't keep their funding commitments.

So, I think we should leave NATO and set up a separate defence mechanism with Canada, New Zealand, USA, Australia, Saudi, Israel and Japan etc and leave the EU to themselves.
Yes. I completely agree, though I'm not sure how far we could trust the US with Bidet in charge.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2020, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mondeey ->
Think we in the UK
Very good question Mondeey, ( welcome, by BTW!)
I Think we should be evaluating our membership of NATO as
it is highly likely we shall need to call on their services in the very
near future if Dutch & French fishermen, tacitly supported by
their governments and the eu pontifs, take it into their heads to
force entry into british territory?
Bread has allready laid out a scenario which is not unlikely at all?
Myself , l see it quite likely that the entire eu fishing fleet will be
mobilised for this purpose? Like Dunkirk in reverse !!
The question then is,what do we about it?
Do we react ourselves, as in the Falklands ?
Or do we request Nato assistance ?
Can we rely on nato??
Many things to to think about??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔🤔

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top