Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2021, 12:17 PM

Re: To beef or not to beef

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Arrogance and snobbery of the highest order! Why is it so difficult to cook a steak how your customer prefers it, rather than how you prefer it? What makes your preference superior to your customer's? Aren't they paying for your expertise to cook something to their taste, or is your expertise only in cooking to your taste?

I was a builder and I have my favourite style of house, but I could, and did, build in any style to meet the customer's brief. Do you think I should have refused all commissions that didn't gel with my own taste? If not, then what is the difference?
Now,now boys, put the Fangs away!
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2021, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
As is so often the case on here, a point is argued using a drastic over exaggeration of the facts. I like all my meat well cooked, probably Medium to well done, and Mrs Fox turns out beef without a sign of blood or discolouring and is almost tender enough to eat with a spoon...If you or your chefs are not capable of offering a tender and well cooked steak, then MacDonalds it is....
Now, now, sly old grey fox 🦊, put the bushy tail away!
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2021, 01:09 PM

I very seldom eat red meat, but when I do I cook it myself because I like mine very very well done, I never order beef when I go out for a meal, but if I ever did , I would expect to have it cooked they way I want it ...not the way a chef thinks it should be...
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2021, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Ah, as a builder, you know full well what is up to code and what is safe. If a customer wanted you to build a deck that was completely unsafe, or made of weak, cracked wood, just because it is much cheaper,you would refuse. In that case, you know better than the customer. I imagine that you have certain standards and that you want to be proud of your workmanship. How can you be proud of your craft if that deck is poorly built ????
The same applies to a high-end restaurant. The customer is paying top dollar for a highly trained chef. A customer does not need a highly trained chef IF he insists on eating little more than a piece of leather. Any fool can cook a well done, dried out steak. Any customer who demands a well done steak is , in effect, saying, "To hell with the chef's knowledge, training and experience, I want to chew leather". He can get what he wants at a 2nd class lay-by.
On the contrary BM, I think it our duty as professionals to use all of our skills to produce the end product that the client desires, whilst at the same time maintaining the highest standards possible. After all, isn't that what our skills are for, to fulfill the wishes of our clients, rather than to be arbiters of taste which, personally, I find breathtakingly arrogant of us to do.

Anyway, in the final analysis there is an old saying that says "He who pays the piper calls the tune", so personally I certainly wouldn't suggest to a client that they go to live in a slum just because their taste is different to mine, and ultimately I would attain great satisfaction of knowing that the end product, regardless of style, was of the highest quality thanks to my skill and professionalism. Perhaps you should try it.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2021, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
As is so often the case on here, a point is argued using a drastic over exaggeration of the facts. I like all my meat well cooked, probably Medium to well done, and Mrs Fox turns out beef without a sign of blood or discolouring and is almost tender enough to eat with a spoon...If you or your chefs are not capable of offering a tender and well cooked steak, then MacDonalds it is....
Perhaps Mrs. Fox has some magic powder which she sprinkles on leather to make it juicy ?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2021, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by barry ->
on the contrary bm, i think it our duty as professionals to use all of our skills to produce the end product that the client desires, whilst at the same time maintaining the highest standards possible. After all, isn't that what our skills are for, to fulfill the wishes of our clients, rather than to be arbiters of taste which, personally, i find breathtakingly arrogant of us to do.

Anyway, in the final analysis there is an old saying that says "he who pays the piper calls the tune", so personally i certainly wouldn't suggest to a client that they go to live in a slum just because their taste is different to mine, and ultimately i would attain great satisfaction of knowing that the end product, regardless of style, was of the highest quality thanks to my skill and professionalism. Perhaps you should try it.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

03-01-2021, 08:28 PM

Click image for larger version

Name:	CB816C5E-09FF-467E-8F89-60A7F91C5BDB.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	14450

To end the debate...

mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2021, 10:27 PM

Reminds of the the joke about the vampire being asked, "How do you like your stake?"

One of the best steaks I had was at a barbeque. The idea was to buy and cook our own. I put mine on the griddle and having had a few drinks, forgot about it. I expected a burnt offering when I eventually went to get it. It was looking very well done but inside it was just the right colour. A bit pink looking. It tasted great.

Steak Diane seemed to be very popular in the 70's. That was quite tasty as I remember.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top