Join for free
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 06:40 AM

Prawn/ shrimp head soup.

I'm giving myself a break from heavy confrontation here. Back to my comfort zone. Food!..Here is a short story/ recipe that some of you may like to try. I lived in San Francisco for a year or so in my younger years. Like it's sister city Sydney, it is famous for it's seafood. I learned this one from the North Beach crowd and I've been cooking it ever since. It can be a soup or a base for a sauce or bisque. And the best thing is you use the best part of the prawn. The bit that people mostly throw away. Of course the rest of the prawn you can plan to cook however you want. Bo appetit!

You need to buy fresh uncooked prawns or shrimp. a kilogram is good but you can use less. Use scissors to separate the head neatly from the body of each prawn and set the bodies aside for whatever you want to do with them.

When you have all your heads neatly ready, heat some oil and garlic in a pan and throw in the prawn heads to sizzle for a bit. Slice up some ginger and throw that in too.

After a few minutes sizzling on medium heat, add a splash of water and let it boil. Turn down to simmer. Use an egg masher to crush the heads up slowly while they sizzle until they are a mush. Add some smoked paprika and more water and let the mixture simmer on low heat for at least half an hour.

Then add some tomato paste and mix gently. Add still more water and continue to simmer.

When you've simmered on very low heat for an hour or so, pour the whole mixture into a food processor and whizz it up until it's a thick creamy liquid, STrain the mixture to remove the remaining prawn bits and keep straining until you have all the liquid in a bowl.

This is the base of the sauce. You can add whatever spices you like. Have it thick or thin. Use it as a seafood dressing or a soup. Go for it!..Any problems..Talk to moi.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 08:23 AM

Re: Prawn/ shrimp head soup.

Would never have thought of using prawn/shrimp heads, Keezoy. Have always discarded them. Will have a go at that - if we are ever allowed out again and I can make it into to town to the fishmonger!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top