Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2014, 07:48 AM

Is nothing sacred?

Looks like we can't even trust our local chippy any more!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/fo...ps-anyone.html

http://canveybeat.wordpress.com/2009...sh-chip-shops/

and it nearly killed one man !

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Fi...ail/story.html
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2014, 08:12 AM

Re: Is nothing sacred?

I was never into 'Cod' for my fish 'n chips - I prefer either Huss (sometimes referred to as Rock Salmon) or Haddock, but allergies apart I have no qualms in eating catfish as an alternative darlin'
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2014, 08:25 AM

It's a bit like the horse meat recently, if they were honest and labelled it correctly you would find a lot of people would try it and may even like it but the deceit is the problem IMO
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2014, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It's a bit like the horse meat recently, if they were honest and labelled it correctly you would find a lot of people would try it and may even like it but the deceit is the problem IMO
I HAVE knowingly eaten horse meat - its OK, I'm still here, hasn't poisoned me - just another animal with edible flesh.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2014, 09:04 AM

A lot of people do eat and that's fine just label it correctly though and we would all know what we are eating, makes me thankful I am vegetarian at least I do know what I am eating.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2014, 09:23 AM

It is different if it is what you choose to eat. I would probably even try catfish - but these chippys were ripping people off by charging cod prices for something that was considerably cheaper and, in one case, dangerous.

As Julie says - we need honest labelling - and honest vendors !
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2014, 09:30 AM

I tried the 'catfish' once and it was pretty awful - no taste or texture.
Haddock is the preferred fish here, though I'm happy to use Ling or Hake.

I've eaten horse and plenty of other animals too - no problem as long as it's properly prepared and labelled.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2014, 11:29 AM

a fish hawker came round our road a few weeks ago , knocking on doors , i asked for a piece of Smoked Haddock, my OH paidhim at the door and put the fish in the fridge , when it came to Tea time i looked at the wrapper and it said Saithe not Haddock .Not having heard of this fish before i googled it and what i found out was it was another name for Coley fish , one of the most cheapest fish to buy . It cost £6 for a small piece , i was miffed at being charged the price of Haddock ..
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2014, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Looks like we can't even trust our local chippy any more!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/fo...ps-anyone.html

http://canveybeat.wordpress.com/2009...sh-chip-shops/

and it nearly killed one man !

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Fi...ail/story.html
well that explains a lot! I once bought Basa fillets from Iceland and ended up with food poisoning, then, several months ago I bought cod from the local foreign chip shop and within the hour I was violently ill! I'm thinking now it must have been the same fish, recently the shop's changed ownership and the poisoners have disappeared overnight!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2014, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
I was never into 'Cod' for my fish 'n chips - I prefer either Huss (sometimes referred to as Rock Salmon) or Haddock, but allergies apart I have no qualms in eating catfish as an alternative darlin'
Joe, me old pal, me old beauty... Isn't Huss (or Uss) just dogfish anyway? I seem to remember it was when I lived in Folkestone, it is just a type of shark.

I like shark or Flake as it is known here. Ours are mostly gummy shark but a few other species including wobbygong, I think it is nicer than dogfish.

My local favourite fish is Bream I used to catch at work in the power station.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top