Join for free
Anzac
South West UK
Anzac is female  Anzac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2015, 05:40 PM

Rose sickness disease

We've long been told that we can't replant roses in the same hole that one came from because it will sicken and die and that the only possible way to do it is to dig out a large, deep area of the old soil and replace it with fresh.

Today I found something called mycorrizal fungi and apparently if you replenish the soil with some good nourishing compost and some of the fungi mostly roses will survive and prosper.

Has anyone heard of this or tried it?
Anzac
South West UK
Anzac is female  Anzac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2015, 06:00 PM

Re: Rose sickness disease

Well, I've dug out the old rose and put in the fungus and compost...in a couple of days I'll put a new rose in and cross my fingers
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2015, 06:59 PM

That's not quite how I do it Anzac.
I think if you read the packet it should say that you sprinkle the fungus onto the roots of the rose, it has to make contact, and then some more in the hole as well. It has to touch the plant roots to work, not just buried in the ground. There is a correct amount to use per plant as well. Again, read the instructions on the packet.
I then use John Innes no.3 mixed with multi-purpose and soil to plant.
Anzac
South West UK

02-03-2015, 11:31 AM

Thanks Mups! Just proves once again I'm not best at following instructions! Lucky I haven't put it in yet!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top