Join for free
Page 15 of 18 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 > Last »
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2018, 03:15 PM

Re: What’s New in Windows 10’s October 2018 Update

There's a 'Network Internet access' icon next to the clock. Right-clicking on that brings up a 'Troubleshoot problems' option. Left-clicking on that will start a 'Detecting problems' procedure to see if Windows can find anything that needs rectifying.

Does the problem happen when using a different browser?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2018, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
There's a 'Network Internet access' icon next to the clock. Right-clicking on that brings up a 'Troubleshoot problems' option. Left-clicking on that will start a 'Detecting problems' procedure to see if Windows can find anything that needs rectifying.

Does the problem happen when using a different browser?
Thanks Mart, I've just tried to send this message and got disconnected again.
I'll have a look in 'internet access' and see what I can find.
I've only got google chrome as my browser Mart, I'm very reluctant to wake up 'The Edge' after I have disabled it....
I have to copy everything now before I post just in case it drops out again....very frustrating.....

PS:- I'm just wondering if the wi fi signal is dropping out for some reason, maybe out of range'ish....I'll try my ethernet cable tomorrow.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2018, 10:39 PM

Thanks for the video Bruce, very informative.
Went through everything mentioned, some I had already disabled and there was some I hadn't that I should have .....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2018, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
PS:- I'm just wondering if the wi fi signal is dropping out for some reason, maybe out of range'ish....I'll try my ethernet cable tomorrow.....
That's probably a very good idea. In my experience anyway, wifi signals can be relied upon to be unreliable!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2018, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
T
I am not sure your problems are WIN10 related Wifi could be the area to check.

There are several apps for your phone (search on wifi analyser apps) which can show the channels used by the local routers. You might find your neighbour is on the same channel. Most router default to a certain channel and that might be the same as your neighbours so it could be just a matter of logging into your router and setting the channel to something like 12.

Look at the congestion at about channel 11 - actually they are too weak to cause much trouble but it is wise to avoid it. BTW obviously the big bumps are my routers.

I tend to use the 5Gb band because there is only me on it - this is the more normal 2.4Gb band

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181204-103042.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	8096  
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2018, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
There are several apps for your phone (search on wifi analyser apps) which can show the channels used by the local routers.
I've just done that ..... thanks .....

Attached are my results.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	wifi analyzer.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	8097  
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2018, 04:45 AM

Just a couple of additions/corrections to my previous post.

Silly typo- the bands are 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz not Gb of course.

Also I should have mentioned that the reality is that the 12 channels overlap adjacent ones; if you have three routers then you can only set them to 1, 6 and 11 if they are not to overlap. I only operate two normally but if I have visitors staying then I turn on a third for that rather dead zone in my house.

Wired connections in the house are best, much faster than wifi. Many years ago before wifi was affordable I wired up each room in my house with cat5 cable so I am fortunate that I have an RJ45 outlet in every room but wifi is obviously needed for laptops, tablets and phones. Actually most of the wired connections are now taken up by TVs, PVRs, amplifiers, NASs and my server plus, of course, this desktop.

Bugger, there was something else I wanted to add but it has gone...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

04-12-2018, 03:53 PM

Thanks again Bruce but I don't have a smartphone.
I've been posting today using an ethernet cable and it hasn't dropped out once and it's so fast.
I do believe it's something to do either with windows 10 or this computer.
I was running my old netbook with windows 7 side by side when it kept dropping out, and the internet was still working on the netbook. I think it might be a range problem on the new computer, but the netbook stays connected even in the summer house down the yard.....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2018, 04:29 PM

Was it happening when you first got the computer?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

04-12-2018, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Was it happening when you first got the computer?
No I don't think it was Mart.........
Could it be that 'The Edge' is in conflict with google Chrome?
I keep getting pop ups proclaiming the benefit of 'The Edge' over Chrome.....Speed and the like.....

I even had this new computer working online in the summer house this afternoon..... So it doesn't look like a range problem....

Page 15 of 18 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top