Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2014, 09:45 AM

Re: The boy in striped pyjamas

It is a very traumatic film, especially when you realise that such things did actually happen.

I have it on DVD and have watched it only once - don't think I could bear to watch it again as it is not, in my opinion, entertainment. Not sure I would agree with showing it to 10 yr olds.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2014, 11:24 AM

Maybe it's just us but we try to avoid films that centre on anything to do with any recent wars now - it's far too depressing when you see that no lessons are ever learned, no matter what man does to his fellow man.

Perverse as it my seem, I might possibly read the book if there is one though. Is there?

I've read many books dealing with WWII and found them informative, maybe even enthralling because I do have a love of history, particularly ancient history.

I'm wading through the Carthaginians at the moment - the exploits of Hannibal Barca in particular. stevmk2
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2014, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
She was 10 at the time and they were studying World War 11...
That's unforgiveable Mags. My grandaughter is now 10 and studying world war 11 at school and god forbid if the school showed this film. I watched it a few years ago, it really disturbed me and I'll never forget that ending. The school have shown them Carrie's War about two evacuees. Much more appropriate and gave me the chance to tell her about my mother and uncle who were also evacuated from London.
astrolady
Field
astrolady is female  astrolady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2014, 11:39 PM

I saw this film a couple of years ago and found it heartbreaking.
The reason being .... i'm married to a Polish man (40 years in June)and his mother was the best MIL i could have ever wished for. Gentle,loving and totally selfless in every way.

She died in 2008 leaving us all devastated. All her life she thought her father had abandoned her and her brother as he never returned to their home in Przemysl.Poland.

Being a total genealogy addict (since 1985) i did a bit of research a year after she died and found out that her father had been sent to Auschwitz and a month before the war ended he was marched to Mauthausen camp and executed.
I'm just so glad that she never knew the truth of what really happened.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2014, 10:28 AM

I also saw it a few years ago and found it quite disturbing. Perhaps moreso as I'm half Polish and was aware of what my father had experienced/witnessed.
Yes, stevmk2, there is a book.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2014, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by astrolady ->
The reason being .... i'm married to a Polish man (40 years in June)and his mother was the best MIL i could have ever wished for. Gentle,loving and totally selfless in every way.

She died in 2008 leaving us all devastated. All her life she thought her father had abandoned her and her brother as he never returned to their home in Przemysl.Poland.

Being a total genealogy addict (since 1985) i did a bit of research a year after she died and found out that her father had been sent to Auschwitz and a month before the war ended he was marched to Mauthausen camp and executed.
Tragic, astrolady, and I'm also glad she never knew the truth.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2014, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by astrolady ->

Pleased to hear you have had and have a wonderful family life, your MIL sounds lovely. Hope that makes up a little for the heartache ......x
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2014, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I sincerely hope not Mups, I would hope life was more civilised these days

My granddaughter's class had to watch that film in Junior school as part of their school project, most of the children were traumatised by it and I'm not surprised. I would have thought it far too distressing to show to young children.
I have always said we should have been taught about the two world wars in school, there was no mention of it at my schools. I feel it should be done 11 years on and showing that particular film, was a step too far. There are plenty of good docus to show ......

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top