Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2014, 05:54 PM

lawn aerator shoes

Has anyone had any luck with those things you strap onto your boots , has spikes on the underside and you are supposed to walk around the lawn to aerate it ? No matter how I try and how tight I do the straps up , two steps and they are off . Is it just me or are they totally useless ? Or should I have posted this in the Grumpy Corner ?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2014, 05:58 PM

Re: lawn aerator shoes

Yes Eric they are totally useless... down at our local tool hire we can get a lawn aerator machine for a day for fortyish quid delivered, although we've quite a big lawn it takes only 30 minutes and we do it every two years, but if you've a small lawn then a garden fork can do the job quite well....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2014, 06:09 PM

I think the spikes look too shallow on these things .
I use my garden fork pushed right in for spiking the lawn .
Mountain Lady
California
Mountain Lady is female  Mountain Lady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2014, 07:17 PM

I've never tried them (or have even heard of them before) but none of them seems to have very good reviews on Amazon. I wonder if it would be possible to make a pair of your own with some old shoes that wouldn't come off when you used them? How about this: Pound some nails in the shoes going through the bottom. Use something like Gorilla Glue or the best glue you know of to glue around the nail holes both inside and out. Then put one or two shoe pads in the bottom of the shoes so you wouldn't be able to feel the heads of the nails. Do you think that could work? Or should I just stick with my day job instead of trying to be a lawn aerator shoe inventor?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2014, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mountain Lady ->
I've never tried them (or have even heard of them before) but none of them seems to have very good reviews on Amazon. I wonder if it would be possible to make a pair of your own with some old shoes that wouldn't come off when you used them? How about this: Pound some nails in the shoes going through the bottom. Use something like Gorilla Glue or the best glue you know of to glue around the nail holes both inside and out. Then put one or two shoe pads in the bottom of the shoes so you wouldn't be able to feel the heads of the nails. Do you think that could work? Or should I just stick with my day job instead of trying to be a lawn aerator shoe inventor?
Hi Joanne why would you want to bother with all that when you can use a fork.
You have the added benefit of the exercise when pushing it in and pulling it out too...
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2014, 07:27 PM

Can afford to laugh about this..we had some years ago and yes they were useless..I suggested to Wal to glue them on his old shoes .... they pulled his shoes off!
Mountain Lady
California
Mountain Lady is female  Mountain Lady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2014, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Joanne why would you want to bother with all that when you can use a fork.
You have the added benefit of the exercise when pushing it in and pulling it out too...
Hey, maybe we could invent something and make millions so we could afford to hire someone to do it for us. Maybe trying to lift your feet out of the compacted soil would be good targeted exercise for the thighs. We could market it as an expensive exercise device! Meg, think of the possibilities!
Mountain Lady
California

08-04-2014, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->

Can afford to laugh about this..we had some years ago and yes they were useless..I suggested to Wal to glue them on his old shoes .... they pulled his shoes off!
Janela, that's a good point. We'd have to use boots. Tall sturdy boots. Heavy boots! Even better for the thighs!
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2014, 07:56 PM

Daisy root boots
Wal is warming to this idea, he said over the shoulder straps, fitting the top of the boots
He said he'd invest a fiver, to help you launch it
Mountain Lady
California

08-04-2014, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Daisy root boots
Wal is warming to this idea, he said over the shoulder straps, fitting the top of the boots
He said he'd invest a fiver, to help you launch it
Yes! Wal is a genius! Suspenders for men and over the shoulder straps for the ladies. We could make the straps interchangeable in all different colors to match the outfit. This is getting big.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top