Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 05:05 PM

Re: Are You Common If You Hang Your Washing Out On A Washing Line?

I feel like a leper, am I the only one who doesn't hang washing out anymore?

Round here I rarely see people hanging out their weshing
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
I must be common too
Unless it's raining or promising rain I hang it all on the line!

Well.... apart from me "comfy knickers".. I hang them discreetly over the side of the washing basket out of view!

Ah, so there is an unwritten rule about where to hang the under curtains. I knew it!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->

You are not alone LQ. We hardly ever hang washing out. Nothing against it but it always seems to be raining here so it goes on a clothes horse or over the bannisters.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->

I don't hang out my washing. I hang mine on the banisters too. The paint work is getting rather shabby.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I was talking to someone and telling him how l loved to hang my washing out and see it blowing in the wind.
He told me his late wife would never have a washing line and hang washing out as it was common! She dried all her washing in the tumble drier.

I couldn’t believe what he was saying as l had never heard such a thing before but on googling it... some do deem it as ‘common’ to have a washing line!

Have you ever heard such a thing and what are your thoughts on this?
Well of course it is 'common', the maid should do that!

Luckily I am jesting isn't it, I am the one who would be 'made' to do that, by necessity!

That would be if I didn't hang my washing on two drying racks, either in the utility room where it dries overnight in the winter or outside on the patio or back path, in better weather.

When I moved here some 14 years' ago I did buy one of those rotary washing lines. The problem is it's still in the garage where it was stored ready to install. I am still waiting for the enthusiasm to return to dig a hole to 'plant' it – unfortunately my get up and go got up and went!
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 06:54 PM

Where possible, I've always used a washing line or a rotary line. Growing up, my mother used to say that having the washing out in the fresh air helps maintain the longevity of the clothing fabric because using a tumble dry and all that artificial heats helps destroy the fibres of the fabric a lot quicker.

Only time the tumble dryer was used was when it rained and clothes were needed urgently, otherwise it was a case of using the wooden clothes horse and put it by the fire (when was made due to it being cold due to the rainy weather).
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Well - I would never use a tumble dryer, My laundry hangs out on a proper laundry line in the back garden. Fresh air makes it smell nice and it is much easier to iron. If is raining then it hangs on a laundry line in the garage - but with the windows open.

Is there anything nicer than sliding into clean sheets that smell of sunshine and fresh air?
I completely agree. The smell of sunshine and fresh air brings such nice memories. Besides, who cares what people think ?
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I completely agree. The smell of sunshine and fresh air brings such nice memories. Besides, who cares what people think ?
That's the correct attitude, sod'em all! I live on the south coast and the stiff breeze always leaves the laundry with that fresh ozone smell that is hard to beat. I don't care what I peg out either, but I would draw the line at washable sheathes I wonder if they still make those?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 12:56 PM

One would have thought that using the most efficient method would be the most desirable. A washing line clearly fits this criteria.

Add on the benefits of actually spending a few short minutes outdoors hanging and collecting, then only a fool would avoid using a line.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 01:03 PM

Think also of the savings on the electricity bill, tumble driers use rather a lot of this rather costly commodity. Also if you are into 'doing your bit to save the planet' this will go a long way in that objective – fresh air is free, well at the moment anyway, until government finds some way to tax it!

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top