Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2020, 06:18 AM

Re: Italian Mastiffs.

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
https://www.google.com/search?q=ital...wLVIw2f6F9T5WM

I think.....
Thank you, Besoeker. They look a bit like the dog 'Fang' from the Harry Potter films.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2020, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

What kind of idiot do you think I am?

Never in the same room together.

The littlies feed them through a stair gate, adults on both sides.

The littlies have great fun and so do the dogs.

The littlies take them for a walk. muzzled

Muzzles come off when we are back in the house, with a stairgate in between.

The littlies throw doggie treats to them.

Always an adult present and enjoyed by both.
No-one is calling you an idiot, Swimmy. Just expressing concern. They are beautiful looking dogs but, coming from a drugs environment, it is a fair bet they will have been used as guard dogs rather than domestic pets. Why did they need to be rescued? Were they being ill treated? If so it may take them a while to readjust and they are likely to be unpredictable. You do not say what age your brother's children are - are they old enough to control these very powerful dogs when out for a walk? Even muzzled they could still do a lot of damage.

I hope they do settle and everyone stays safe and happy.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2020, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
No-one is calling you an idiot, Swimmy. Just expressing concern. They are beautiful looking dogs but, coming from a drugs environment, it is a fair bet they will have been used as guard dogs rather than domestic pets. Why did they need to be rescued? Were they being ill treated? If so it may take them a while to readjust and they are likely to be unpredictable. You do not say what age your brother's children are - are they old enough to control these very powerful dogs when out for a walk? Even muzzled they could still do a lot of damage.

I hope they do settle and everyone stays safe and happy.

Hi

They were seized as part of a Drugs Raid.

SIL is brilliant at retraining dogs, she does not believe in putting them down.

It is not the dogs problem, it is the owners.

The dogs arrived here for a visit, muzzled and supervised.

The Pretendies where fascinated by them, huge things,

They fed and watered them.

Indoor Frisbees with food, then outdoor with a fence.

The Pretendies took them for a walk. on a dual lead, with parents in control.

I cannot walk far enougth to exercise them.

The dogs where spoilt rotten, but a good message to some of the local pillocks.

The dogs will be here again this weekend, I have no worries about them at all.
Never left alone with the Pretendies, but a powerfull worry to the loclal drug dealers.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2020, 08:13 AM

Sorry Swims but I have to agree with some of the others. These, like most mastiffs, were bred to guard things and are therefore very prone to revert to their basic nature without any warning or provocation, and as you say they were rescued from drug dealers then no doubt they have been also kept and trained for their ferocity. So to my mind, no matter how much they are "re-trained", their basic nature and initial training will always be there and be a threat, which you obviously know otherwise you wouldn't be talking about the precautions you are taking to protect the children.

As others have said, an accident just waiting to happen, why risk it?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2020, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I never heard of that breed. They certainly are a fierce looking creature. Just out of curiosity, are they as dangerous as pit bulls ?
Almost any dog is potentially dangerous Bakerman more people are bitten by Chihuahuas than by pit bulls .The difference is Chihuahuas dont kill you .
I love pit bulls btw they are lovely kind loyal dogs but are so often kept by the wrong people and are abused terribly ,
Their natures spoilt by being used as fighting dogs .
It’s the size and the strength of their jaws that make them so dangerous.
Once they have someone on the ground with their jaws around their throat you are dead .
A child is much easier their face and neck are on a level with a dogs . They have no chance .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2020, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

They were seized as part of a Drugs Raid.

SIL is brilliant at retraining dogs, she does not believe in putting them down.

It is not the dogs problem, it is the owners.

The dogs arrived here for a visit, muzzled and supervised.

The Pretendies where fascinated by them, huge things,

They fed and watered them.

Indoor Frisbees with food, then outdoor with a fence.

The Pretendies took them for a walk. on a dual lead, with parents in control.

I cannot walk far enougth to exercise them.

The dogs where spoilt rotten, but a good message to some of the local pillocks.

The dogs will be here again this weekend, I have no worries about them at all.
Never left alone with the Pretendies, but a powerfull worry to the loclal drug dealers.

Swim, why do you keep mentioning the local drug dealers - presumably your neighbour again?
And why would visiting dogs be ' a good message to local pillocks'?
And ' a powerful worry to local drug dealers?'

It sounds very much like you are thinking of using these dogs as some kind of status symbol against the people you already detest, else why say it?

If these potentially dangerous dogs are used in this way, you are merely plunging them back into a world they are supposed to have left behind.
Great rehab for them . . . NOT!

If your SIL is as good at rehabilitation as you say, she would never allow her animals to be used in this way.

Sorry, but it's totally irresponsible.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2020, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Swim, why do you keep mentioning the local drug dealers - presumably your neighbour again?

It sounds very much like you are thinking of using these dogs as some kind of status symbol against the people you already detest, else why say it?

If these potentially dangerous dogs are used in this way, you are merely plunging them back into a world they are supposed to have left behind.

If your SIL is as good at rehabilitation as you say, she would never allow her animals to be used in this way.

I thoroughly agree Mups, really not the way to go...
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2020, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Almost any dog is potentially dangerous Bakerman more people are bitten by Chihuahuas than by pit bulls .The difference is Chihuahuas dont kill you .
I love pit bulls btw they are lovely kind loyal dogs but are so often kept by the wrong people and are abused terribly ,
Their natures spoilt by being used as fighting dogs .
It’s the size and the strength of their jaws that make them so dangerous.
Once they have someone on the ground with their jaws around their throat you are dead .
A child is much easier their face and neck are on a level with a dogs . They have no chance .
Totally agree.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2020, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

I agree Mups. not acceptable, not even in Mittyland.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top