Join for free
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 11:15 AM

Remote mystery

We have had our Sony Tv for around ten years now so it's no spring chicken but recently we have noticed a weird problem with the remote control. The button that changes the ports ie; HDMI1/HDMI2/HDMI3 etc, only works on alternate days.

I can click on 'Home' Ok but the up & down buttons will not shift it, then the next day it works, then it doesn't etc. So every other day I have to change it on the TV buttons.

Have tried new batteries, cleaning the infra red and checking for buttons stuck down - all seems fine. Have also taken the remote apart and cleaned inside.

Today is an 'ON' day, so I will not need to get out of my chair.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 12:18 PM

Re: Remote mystery

I can't say why it would be an alternate days fault (might it just seem that way?) but remote controls do wear and also get dirty inside.

At a time when the TV isn't responding, beam the remote control at a digital camera lens and press the buttons in question. If you see the beam flashing away in the camera viewer, the problem is likely with the TV. If you don't see the remote control beam, think about getting another remote control. They aren't usually very expensive. If the handset is faulty and you fancy having a go at mending it.....

Beneath the button you press, is a conductive rubber pad that bridges out contacts on a printed circuit board. After a long time, those pads can lose their conductive properties. Sometimes taking the remote control apart, removing the button and pad assembly (all one bit) from the body of the RC and washing it can work. Quite often, it is found that liquid has found its way in somehow or other.

Having washed and dried the pads (hairdryer works good), put meter leads either side of individual pads to see if they give a good low resistance reading. Compare the resistance reading of known good buttons to the ones that give trouble. If you haven't got a meter that measures conductivity/resistance, put the remote control back together and hope for the best.

Edit: I note you have cleaned inside but the above is the way I always did it.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 02:20 PM

Having read what's been said, LD, I'd go for the longshot ideas.

i.e. Could the receiving sensor, on the tv, be mucked up, partially blocked with furniture polish, etc?

I have a Sony TV and it is very difficult to find where the above senor hides!

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I can't say why it would be an alternate days fault (might it just seem that way?) but remote controls do wear and also get dirty inside.

At a time when the TV isn't responding, beam the remote control at a digital camera lens and press the buttons in question. If you see the beam flashing away in the camera viewer, the problem is likely with the TV. If you don't see the remote control beam, think about getting another remote control. They aren't usually very expensive. If the handset is faulty and you fancy having a go at mending it.....

Beneath the button you press, is a conductive rubber pad that bridges out contacts on a printed circuit board. After a long time, those pads can lose their conductive properties. Sometimes taking the remote control apart, removing the button and pad assembly (all one bit) from the body of the RC and washing it can work. Quite often, it is found that liquid has found its way in somehow or other.

Having washed and dried the pads (hairdryer works good), put meter leads either side of individual pads to see if they give a good low resistance reading. Compare the resistance reading of known good buttons to the ones that give trouble. If you haven't got a meter that measures conductivity/resistance, put the remote control back together and hope for the best.

Edit: I note you have cleaned inside but the above is the way I always did it.
Great advice, thanks. I shall try the camera trick which hopefully might narrow it down.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

26-11-2020, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Having read what's been said, LD, I'd go for the longshot ideas.

i.e. Could the receiving sensor, on the tv, be mucked up, partially blocked with furniture polish, etc?

I have a Sony TV and it is very difficult to find where the above senor hides!

Thanks Ted

I have cleaned the sensor but will try some meths.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Thanks Ted

I have cleaned the sensor but will try some meths.
I suggest some decent whisky Longdogs, meths tastes too bitter.....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

26-11-2020, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I suggest some decent whisky Longdogs, meths tastes too bitter.....
Keeps you warm though.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2020, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Keeps you warm though.
Meths brought back some memories for me Longdogs.....
I used to power up my steam engine with it.........No seriously!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

27-11-2020, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Meths brought back some memories for me Longdogs.....
I used to power up my steam engine with it.........No seriously!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

27-11-2020, 10:28 PM

Remote been working for a couple of days now (it's like when you go to the dentist with a tooth ache but it stops hurting). Anyway, I'm currently charging my camera battery so I can do the test if it fails again. I had to renew the plug on my charger first due to a dog teeth incident some weeks ago.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top