Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 04:48 PM

Re: Wild Bird food

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
we are plagued with seagulls, next door puts the dog food outside for the dog and flocks of gulls appear making a hell of a din. So no point in putting out "bird seed" they won't get any
Now we've moved we're no longer plagued by them although I did see a tern flying above the field at the bottom of our garden.

I haven't had a chance to buy any feeders, etc yet but I do intend to sometime in the near future. I did notice we have inherited 3 or 4 bird boxes that are attached to the fence at the bottom of the garden though. I suppose they'll need "mucking" out before next Spring's bonking season starts.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 04:50 PM

I have two hanging feeders for the birds, haven't seen any rats just a small squirrel who comes every day and sniffs the trees at the bottom of the garden.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 04:55 PM

I do have rats at times .
But I haven’t seen them lately so I expect the neighbours have killed them or they have enough food with my other neighbours sheep and hens .
I do have two humane traps which if they get too obvious I catch them and let them loose elsewhere not near my house . Usually near a farm yard where they can at least find some shelter .
They have to take their chances .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 09:26 PM

I haven't seen any rats (touch wood), since my neighbour got rid of his hens.
I have 2 bird tables, plus a hanging feeder.
I use a decent seed mix - like Muddy said, without too much wheat, then i usually add a
few extras treats like suet, currants or some unsalted chopped nuts.

I never use fat balls because I don't want the dogs picking up the fat particles that drop off. I remember the vet warning me about that when my oldest one was ill recently.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2020, 10:04 AM

I am at present watching the antics of a ( large ) rat on a little bird table set in a hedge.
Every time a bird alights on it the rat quickly climbs the hedges and see it off ..
Will move it elsewhere today but they are marvellous climbers so will hand it from somewhere .
Time to get the ( humane ) rat trap out .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2020, 10:38 AM

I would move it well away from the hedge Muddy.
As you say, Ratty will be jumping on to the table from the hedge.
Also, cats and other predators can hide in the hedge so I would put the table out in the open where the birds can see all around them.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2020, 10:41 AM

I put out seeds occasionally but I mostly only get Rainbow Lorikeets, they make a mess then eat the seeds off the patio concrete.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	200920 002 Rainbow Lorikeets.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	14231   Click image for larger version

Name:	200920 008 Rainbow Lorikeets.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	14232  
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2020, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I have two bird feeders, food from Home Bargains.

I love to see the birds.

I have no rats, I have a legal maximum air rifle and dead rats
My Son has a rifle & it's legal, but even he would never shoot rats, he had tame ratties as a teenager & they were really cute & very tame. I don't hate rats, I'd just rather not have them in my garden.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top