Join for free
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2019, 09:33 AM

Gene research, the positive results?

There is much said and written about what could be the negatives of 'interfering' with genes. People understandably may have fears about what this could lead to. This news item is one that appears to be so positive and has changed someone's life as a result.

I had a parent who was in continual pain for many, many years. Research into genes like this could have prevented a lot of personal suffering. It is said this 'new class of medicine' could also lead to improvements in life for those suffering from Huntington's disease.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-47907971
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2019, 10:00 AM

Re: Gene research, the positive results?

Unfortunately everything that can be used for good will always end up by being used for evil by some.
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2019, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Unfortunately everything that can be used for good will always end up by being used for evil by some.
Yes, I agree. Unfortunately that is the case, almost everything in life has a positive and negative side. Had opportunities to better our lives in many areas not been taken, many proving positive, we would have very much shorter, disease-ridden lives, possibly still living in caves chasing and killing animals for food.

All that can be done is for people, equally as clever as those who do the research, to put in place the necessary safeguards. That I reckon is all we can do in order to take advantage of the positives this 'new medicine' can provide for the human race generally.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2019, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
There is much said and written about what could be the negatives of 'interfering' with genes. People understandably may have fears about what this could lead to. This news item is one that appears to be so positive and has changed someone's life as a result.

I had a parent who was in continual pain for many, many years. Research into genes like this could have prevented a lot of personal suffering. It is said this 'new class of medicine' could also lead to improvements in life for those suffering from Huntington's disease.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-47907971
I wonder if this treatment could truly be said to be "interfering" with genes Baz. I think somewhere in the article it talks about blocking/killing the harmful messengers to the genes. The gene remains intact.

Personally, I think this development is a good thing, but as you say Baz it must be closely monitored and not abused. Therein lies the future potential problem. Still think it is a good thing though.
Baz46

14-04-2019, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I wonder if this treatment could truly be said to be "interfering" with genes Baz. I think somewhere in the article it talks about blocking/killing the harmful messengers to the genes. The gene remains intact.

Personally, I think this development is a good thing, but as you say Baz it must be closely monitored and not abused. Therein lies the future potential problem. Still think it is a good thing though.
Probably the wrong terminology on my part, wasn't sure so quoted the word "interfering" for that reason.

Yes, strict safeguards definitely have to be put in place.

Anything that prevents people going through appalling health problems, as both my parents did, must be a good thing.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top