Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2019, 11:04 PM

Re: Professionalism

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I only have your word for that, do you have a certificate from a professional organisation?
I do, but I can't post it.

BTW, this is a serious thread, I hope you are not flirting.
Who Mois???? The very thought.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2019, 11:05 PM

Has professionalism been eroded in your work experience due to unrealistic targets and expectations, have you had to join a shoddy workforce, just to get the job done, an a competitive basis?
No, I think I have been lucky. I have had two careers - first one was of a creative nature and I had very good employers of the old school who wanted a job well done and not rushed. What I produced had to be well accomplished and had to last. The second was completely different in the NHS where there were time factors, but I was able to feel a huge degree of job satisfaction - until towards the end when everything seemed to be changing so fast. It was time for me to go so I retired, only to go back until I got really fed up with it.

These days, now I am fully retired I can spend as much time as I wish on what I want to. No pressure, but in a way I miss the urgency - the buzz of a job well done.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2019, 11:05 PM

Oh heck
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2019, 11:06 PM

Has professionalism been eroded in your work experience due to unrealistic targets and expectations, have you had to join a shoddy workforce, just to get the job done, an a competitive basis?
It certainly had been eroded when I was still working. The IT dept I worked for was outsourced From that very moment everything changed. Instead of working diligently for Company A, dedicated to its smooth running, being pro-active, streamlining its processes etc, we were all suddenly treating Company A as just one of a myriad of service customers of the new Company B. As such we were instructed to do nothing but the job as defined in the Service Level Agreement, we were not to be pro-active anymore we were to be totally reactive. When there was a problem, we react, not before. We do nothing except what the company has agreed to do in the contract.

Helpdesks switched to India, support switched to India, where a myriad of largely untrained ill-equipped staff would attempt to mange things. They couldn't of course and had to be constantly trained and taught by the rest of us in Blighty.

The whole thing was a nonsense. It ruined the IT services of my original Company A. They were on a minimal service agreement and they suffered for it.

ALL of this, the entire strategy of outsourcing was to reduce costs by putting the IT services into the hands of a large IT service provider with standard models used for lots of companies.

It didn't work. The costs of training and dealing with India were double the original costs. Instead of India being able to replace and eliminate UK jobs they were instead an additional liability. They ended up with the UK jobs still there and the India jobs on top, with the UK staff constantly having to advise India staff.

We went from being high level professionals making a real difference to Company A to being unprofessional reactive service providers. We didn't like it, it went against the grain of who and what we were, but that was the job.

About 10 years later, Company A realising the entire thing had been a disastrous mistake, began recruiting its own IT staff again.

I believe this same flawed outsourcing model has been used by numerous companies across the nation with similar results.

Everything now is about money, minimal service. Professionalism has taken a back seat.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2019, 11:54 PM

I found that after leaving the military and joining a rather large civilian company, I didn’t achieve anything, the bottom feeders soon drag you down
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 12:05 AM

The pursuit of excellence has gone.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
I have a nice arse if that helps.
Same here.
Loving this thread so far. I can't wait to read on...
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
I found that after leaving the military and joining a rather large civilian company, I didn’t achieve anything, the bottom feeders soon drag you down
I feel exactly the same, Rehab (btw Where have you been. Nice to see you back etc etc...).

Left the RAF and joined a very large local company. All was going well and still is apparently, but I worry about the firm as they are expanding with massive new premises and they seem to be behind the times still with equipment and machinery. Nothing ever works properly. Time will tell.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 06:29 AM

In business adding shareholder value must take priority over professionalism every time.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 07:04 AM

Its been many years but the fundamentals never change, I worked for a company where the core data was crap, it was all over the place, being one of two analysists, I was always surprised that the other of the two was quite happy to provide reporting, based on the flawed data on the pretext that he had provided what was requested, it wasn't his problem that it wasn't worth the paper it was printed on.
This attitude seems to prevail, and, it simply isn't good enough.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top