Join for free
Page 10 of 10 « First < 8 9 10
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 08:52 AM

Re: New painting

Thank you Susan I diid enjoy painting it .
I am interested in the muscular structure of the horse which is quite complicated .
It's a big animal too for such spindly legs I always want to make them bigger .

One of my favourite paintings of a Baroque horse is Charles 1 on horseback by Antony Van Dyck

It's supurb yet the artist has taken considerable licence the head is impossibly small and the legs very long yet the overall effect radiators power .How he got all those muscles in is incredible see how flat my painting is in comparison ( well he was one of the great masters )
Charles 1 was a little man so he looked better on horseback .

You can see this painting in the National gallery Trafalgar Square . Its a huge lifesize canvas .
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Thank you Susan I diid enjoy painting it .
I am interested in the muscular structure of the horse which is quite complicated .
It's a big animal too for such spindly legs I always want to make them bigger .

One of my favourite paintings of a Baroque horse is Charles 1 on horseback by Antony Van Dyck

It's supurb yet the artist has taken considerable licence the head is impossibly small and the legs very long yet the overall effect radiators power .How he got all those muscles in is incredible see how flat my painting is in comparison ( well he was one of the great masters )
Charles 1 was a little man so he looked better on horseback .

You can see this painting in the National gallery Trafalgar Square . Its a huge lifesize canvas .
Muddy if you like this painting how can you be critical of your own? I appreciate that Van Dyke has put good shading in to display the muscles but I personally feel that his artistic licence just makes the horse look unreal.
If i wanted to put a horse painting on my wall & had a choice of his or yours, I would much prefer to see yours than his on daily basis!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 09:33 AM

Thank you Twink you are so kind -I would rather have the Van Dyck alas it's bigger than most of my house and several hundred million times my bank balance !

I would like my horse to be less flat .
I want to have the effect that if you touched him you could feel the shape of his body the curves of his muscles the silkiness ness of his coat the hardness of his hooves .

Apart from all that I am quite pleased with it !
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

11-07-2019, 09:51 AM

When I started my painting I had a idea in my head of what I wanted the horse to look like based on horses I have seen.

I have just found this video which I have not seen before on a Bay Baroque Spanish horse ( had I seen it I would have made the mane longer ) but it's more or less right especially the colour .

Isn't he great ?

Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Thank you Twink you are so kind -I would rather have the Van Dyck alas it's bigger than most of my house and several hundred million times my bank balance !

I would like my horse to be less flat .
I want to have the effect that if you touched him you could feel the shape of his body the curves of his muscles the silkiness ness of his coat the hardness of his hooves .

Apart from all that I am quite pleased with it !
I know what you mean about being a little less flat, but it is still a beautiful painting. I think you will be able to improve that, now you are managing to finish them, and find different ideas on how to get a better 3D effect.
Why not start a thread called Muddy's Art? If you allow us to see the different stages of your work, as you did with this one, it will give you more confidence. I also think you may encourage others to try, because there has been a lot of interest in this one.
Whatever you do, don't stop, because you have a talent and have impressed many of us with you ability.

BTW the horse in the video was lovely..... I just thank heaven that the horses, we had here, had their manes trimmed.... because I sometimes fed them apples dipped in molasses!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

11-07-2019, 10:36 AM

The Spanish spend a fortune on hair conditioner -for their horses !
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2019, 07:45 AM

Muddy - I have just caught up with this thread again - and I really love your painting. It is so full of life and colour. I so want to stroke that beautiful horse.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2019, 08:04 AM

Absolutely fabulous painting!
I would be proud if mine were half as good!

Page 10 of 10 « First < 8 9 10

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top