Join for free
Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2013, 11:59 AM

Re: Fracking

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
It is no wonder we are against most of these projects!
If you live in the USA, and they find something under your land, it belongs to you, but over here the rich purloin the profits.
Good point Wrinkly - I wonder how many people would refuse, say, £2m to have that going on near them?
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2013, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Good point Wrinkly - I wonder how many people would refuse, say, £2m to have that going on near them?
No-one! They would accept it and bugger off to pastures new now wouldn't they - if they had any sense anyways .
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2013, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
No-one! They would accept it and bugger off to pastures new now wouldn't they - if they had any sense anyways .
I see that on one thing - we're on the same wavelength
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2013, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I will continue to desist from decision making when I know I don't have all the facts - I'll leave that to the knee-jerkers.

Lead - you don't give concentrations so I've looked up the closest I can think of to this: http://www.water.org.uk/static/files...-_Water_UK.pdf

I can't be bothered to answer each one in detail but I will say that lead, uranium, mercury, ethylene glycol, radium, methanol, hydrochloric acid, formaldehyde are already in use in various manufacturing processes and we are already exposed to many of those elements because they occur naturally. I don't imagine that the industries will deliberately poison people - why would they? They would soon go out of business if that proved to be the case and who would hire them after that? It would be professional suicide to be so careless.

But those elements come from the ground anyway and already occur naturally in rivers and the sea.

As I have said, I am not an expert and I'm not in a position to make informed decisions about whether these companies will handle this professionally or not.

However, I have no desire to turn into a 'Chicken Little' and run around proclaiming that the sky is about to fall in!

Karen darlin' I think I.o.M is geologically speaking predominantly Igneous rock like Granite. Here in the South East, (Balcombe) we are living on the top of chalk. As a consequence the water aquafiers extract water straight from the chalk. If Fracking allows all those poisonous chemicals into the chalk and it seeps into the aquafiers then we could be drinking poisoned water - hence one of the limbs of my own opposition to 'Fracking' per se.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2013, 09:23 PM

What a fracking mess.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2013, 06:32 AM

The protesters claim the government aren't listening, they never do. The arrest of Caroline Lucas MP and others was inevitable.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2013, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
The protesters claim the government aren't listening, they never do. The arrest of Caroline Lucas MP and others was inevitable.
Especially as she refused to do what the police told her to, nothing invites arrest as quickly as that on a protest, well that and knocking a policeman's hat off
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

20-08-2013, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
From what I saw on the news, the protest wasn't particularly peaceful and law-abiding and they openly stated (the protesters) that they are going to up their game to prevent drilling; so if arrests happened, they only have themselves to blame - even some of the locals said they didn't mind the protest if it remained a peaceful one but it didn't so some of the locals declined to support the protesters.

Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top